DIR regulators...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LSanchez

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on a primary and backup DIR regulator setup. What would be a good setup for open-water diving in socal? I have yet to take the DIR-F class, but I am hoping to take it this summer (or sooner) and want to get a rig put together. I've been looking at the ScubaPro Mk25/S600 and MK25/G250 for a primary, but a little lost for a backup. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LSanchez:
Looking for some suggestions on a primary and backup DIR regulator setup. What would be a good setup for open-water diving in socal? I have yet to take the DIR-F class, but I am hoping to take it this summer (or sooner) and want to get a rig put together. I've been looking at the ScubaPro Mk25/S600 and MK25/G250 for a primary, but a little lost for a backup. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I use locally the Apek. You can either go with the ATX 200 or the US/DS4 first stage and use the TX 50 as the primary and the TX 20 as the back up reg. These tend to be better then the Scubapro's. I find that the balanced diaphram tends to fail less then the pistons that are used in the Scubapro's.

But in all candor, both are quailty regulators and I have used both in SoCal for years..

Hope that helps.

Mike,
Would your suggestion of an TX20 as backup be as a means of saving money? Could a second TX50 be used as a backup? It's a genuine question from a novice.

I choose a R390, it's smaller than the 190 and has a predive-dive switch (less chance of freeflow). IMO, you don't need a better reg than that as a backup.

Get a matching 1st stage if you're diving doubles (Mk25s are good choices).

Ben

you can absolutely use the atx 50 for a backup. the at20 saves you some money. the difference to the atx50 is that it does not come with an external adjustment for inhalation resistance and it has no heat exchanger. therefore, it is not as suited for cold water diving (below45-50F). another apeks option would be the atx40. this one has the heat exchanger for cold water but lacks the inhalation resistance screw of the atx50.

I use the MK25/G250 with the R190 for a back-up. I dont really notice the R190 even though it is bigger than the R390. The R390 is a little more pricey, I believe, so the 190 was good for my budget. The MK25 is a great regulator, and it sets up nicely on a single tank. I use the bottom LP port for my long hose and it directs it perfectly down the right side of my backplate.
Good luck.
Dive safe.

A great set-up that I have been using for a while is the Atomic line. I use the Atomic M1 as my primary and a Z1 as my secondary. Bith first stages are nearly identical as well as providing a low pressure port on the bottom of the turret. Makes hose routing really nice. The Z1 is an excellent value for the price. Both are high performance piston first stages. I have used both piston and diaphram first stages. By far you get a better performance from a high quality, balanced piston. The performance at all tank pressures and depths is fantastic. You won't go wrong with either the Atomic M1 and Z1 or the ScubaPro MK25 series.

Dale

I use Apeks regs. Better reliability, better cold water performance, and evironmental seal. I have the ATX-200, and the ATX-40 with DS4. I also have a Scubapro reg, but I like the Apeks better...

I use dual Mk25s, an S600 and an R380. Zero problems and the regs breath great. I think that Apeks would also be a good choice though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom