DIR regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am wanting to move into tech diving and am interested in getting my equipment set up in the DIR format. This way I will dive my rec dives in it and get comfortable with it and gain the muscle memory for the setup.

I take a bit of inspiration from the DIR tenets myself, however, I draw a line where these principles clash with practicality and/or the modern age (for example the role of dive computers). Likewise, I would not throw my perfectly fine octo out just because it has an adjustment knob, as long as it is proven and reliable.

For now, I kept the 2nd stage hoses as they came from Scubapro as I don't see the need to mess with brand new, factory installed and bench tested hoses. I am still going half-DIR with the octo necklace, but I will wait for the next service to install a long hose on the primary 2nd.

I think your idea of getting the right setup and then getting used to it in rec diving is great. Find the tech instructor you'll most likely go with and see what configuration he or she recommends as a basis. It is too easy to read a lot of hardcore articles and opinions and move into a very narrow view on configs "just because".

I have seen numerous people use the normal XTX50 regulators as both primary and octo on a dir setup. should not matter unless the adjustment knob bothers you in some way.
the yellow colour is not needed for a bungeed octo by the agencies as far as I have understood, the yellow is mainly for normal rec setup where the dive buddy needs to be able to see where your octo is located so he can grab it if needed. With bungeed octo you will give them your primary and the octo is only for your own use (some people may actually use an yellow covered octo as a primary to make sure the buddy remembers this in panic and does not try to go for the bungeed one which does not come off)

anyway, starting with a single tank long hose setup would be a good start and then switch to doubles when needed. you will need to practice with the long hose and reg donating so it is better to switch to it as soon as possible

This thread seems to have touched on most points already. From what I've read over the past few months, its hard to go wrong with Scubapro given that they are constantly improving upon already-proven designs. The G250 and MK20 are arguably some of the best regulators ever made and they've only added functionality to both designs over the years by coming out with the MK25 iterations and S600/G250v/g260 lineage. Any dive shop is bound to service SP and the parts are almost always easy to acquire.

I would not throw my perfectly fine octo out just because it has an adjustment knob, as long as it is proven and reliable.

Personally, I use a 109 as my backup because I can de tune it to avoid free flows and re tune it when I am using it, for easier breathing. Of course, when it comes to diving, I'm of no particular sect.

Bob

I take a bit of inspiration from the DIR tenets myself, however, I draw a line where these principles clash with practicality and/or the modern age (for example the role of dive computers). Likewise, I would not throw my perfectly fine octo out just because it has an adjustment knob, as long as it is proven and reliable.

This is something I instinctively agree with, but it's *such* a tough line to draw.

For me, one of the bigger what? things with GUE/DIR is rechargeable batteries. I get the idea that you can tell the level of an alkaline battery by looking at the output, and that they can sit there for years without discharge. When the only choice was high self-discharge NiCad batteries, I can understand completely. But between low self-discharge (e.g. eneloop) NiMH and incredibly high capacity Lithium batteries, it's not such a clear choice. Yet simply rejecting all rechargeables because of the technology 15 years ago really irks me.

(Dive computers don't irk me, because I've never seen a GUE diver diving without a Shearwater! If they choose to look at it as a backup/timing device to their tables, what do I care? As long as I can have my Shearwater too! :) )

Having said that, I've seen lots of people make decisions that in their mind are 'clearly superior to obviously flawed or outdated GUE thinking', yet they don't understand how that completely destroys many of the advantages in ways that they don't see or yet understand. Heck, as I have been making my way down the technical path, there have been more than one time where, when I finally switch something over to a more DIR-compliant way (that I hadn't done because I thought it was either unnecessary or counterproductive), only *then* did a bunch of lightbulbs go off in other areas that I thought were unrelated. So it's really hard to know if your brilliant exception is really brilliant, or you're still in unaware ignorance! :) (Ref: Four stages of competence - Wikipedia )

to make sure the buddy remembers this in panic and does not try to go for the bungeed one which does not come off

Usually the necklace octo comes off when you pull on it, are there instances where it is actually fixed and only used to put into your own mouth? Mine rips right out with a firm pull.

Heck, as I have been making my way down the technical path, there have been more than one time where, when I finally switch something over to a more DIR-compliant way (that I hadn't done because I thought it was either unnecessary or counterproductive), only *then* did a bunch of lightbulbs go off in other areas that I thought were unrelated. So it's really hard to know if your brilliant exception is really brilliant, or you're still in unaware ignorance! :) (Ref: Four stages of competence - Wikipedia )

I can see how this can be the case and it would be great if you could share some examples. I personally do not think I will ever go deep into tech diving, however, I do enjoy some of the trickle down gear and lessons to make diving more enjoyable and safer.

Usually the necklace octo comes off when you pull on it, are there instances where it is actually fixed and only used to put into your own mouth? Mine rips right out with a firm pull.
yes some people seem to rig it in a way that it cannot be ripped off unless cutting with a knife.

I personally think it would be better that way... If in ooa situation would be better if at least someone gets air. I have also had bad experiences with rip off octos so will tie it permanently to the necklace from now on. It is pretty easy to lose it with those rubber necklaces for example and then its the good ol OW sweeping game to get it back

yes some people seem to rig it in a way that it cannot be ripped off unless cutting with a knife.

I personally think it would be better that way... If in ooa situation would be better if at least someone gets air. I have also had bad experiences with rip off octos so will tie it permanently to the necklace from now on. It is pretty easy to lose it with those rubber necklaces for example and then its the good ol OW sweeping game to get it back

In the case of an entanglement I would not want to rely on having to pull my head out of the loop in order to get rid of the octo around my neck.

As you may be able to see in my profile pic, I have a hose retainer clip on my right hip D ring which holds the octo hose in place, with enough slack to make it into my mouth without undoing the hose. Should it fall out of its silicone necklace, it will still be right there. Should someone grab it, it will come out of the hose retainer. The other benefit is that it will always stay snug on my chest when horizontal.

In the case of an entanglement I would not want to rely on having to pull my head out of the loop in order to get rid of the octo around my neck.

As you may be able to see in my profile pic, I have a hose retainer clip on my right hip D ring which holds the octo hose in place, with enough slack to make it into my mouth without undoing the hose. Should it fall out of its silicone necklace, it will still be right there. Should someone grab it, it will come out of the hose retainer. The other benefit is that it will always stay snug on my chest when horizontal.
I'm a little sceptic how that retainer thingy would work when combined with a long hose setup.

the thing with silicone necklaces may be that they are just too long to hold the octo comfortably without risking getting it entangled a bit more easily. I have managed to lose the octo multiple times because it can be easily ripped off and it may go somewhere behind my back where it needs to be sweeped back. not fun when the whole point with a necklace octo should be to ensure it is ALWAYS there......but instead when you really need it it's gone:(

I don't use right hip d-ring btw, I am not fully DIR but it interferes with the long hose so I didn't install any :poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom