DIR regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Goat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If I want to dive DIR does one need matching regs? Or can I just lengthen my current hose to 7 feet and tuck my current octo in a necklace?

I dive a Scubapro MK17/G260 and a scubapro Octo.

Thanks

Your current set works, so if you want to go long hose then just start with getting a 6-7ft hose for the primary and a necklace. I'd assume you have a R195 Octo? If you are happy breathing from it then keep it.

I have the R195 around my neck and am ready to donate my primary in an emergency and switch to it, or my octo if it can be controlled, I am happy to breathe of the R195 at depth, even in the 'pre-dive' venturi setting (assuming flicking that switch will be the last thing on anyone's mind).

With the necklace - and I would not be surprised if the DIR gods frown upon it - I also suggest to clip the octo hose to a hip D-ring (pull release of course) so it does not dangle when you are in horizontal trim (see the attached pic). I like to use the premade silicone necklaces instead of the self-made bungee one's due to comfort, but most are a tad large, meaning that the octo may hang around your sternum and not right up your neck, which is actually more comfortable and easy to grab.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.02.51 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.02.51 am.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 196
Best practice is to match but not necessarily, seek training/mentor ship from a DIR instructor................I know a good one.....

Thanks guys. I couldn't find anything to state otherwise so I am glad to have asked. I plan on upgrading in the next year to another G260 as my back up.

decompression I will be in touch as I am looking at getting into tech diving.

Best practice is to match but not necessarily, seek training/mentor ship from a DIR instructor................I know a good one.....

Your current set works, so if you want to go long hose then just start with getting a 6-7ft hose for the primary and a necklace. I'd assume you have a R195 Octo? If you are happy breathing from it then keep it.

I have the R195 around my neck and am ready to donate my primary in an emergency and switch to it, or my octo if it can be controlled, I am happy to breathe of the R195 at depth, even in the 'pre-dive' venturi setting (assuming flicking that switch will be the last thing on anyone's mind).

With the necklace - and I would not be surprised if the DIR gods frown upon it - I also suggest to clip the octo hose to a hip D-ring (pull release of course) so it does not dangle when you are in horizontal trim (see the attached pic). I like to use the premade silicone necklaces instead of the self-made bungee one's due to comfort, but most are a tad large, meaning that the octo may hang around your sternum and not right up your neck, which is actually more comfortable and easy to grab.

Thanks for the pic. Makes it easier to see it visually.

Why does being "DIR" matter to you? You don't state which octo you have, but it is unlikely that it won't be compatible.
I am wanting to move into tech diving and am interested in getting my equipment set up in the DIR format. This way I will dive my rec dives in it and get comfortable with it and gain the muscle memory for the setup.

GUE-BC

https://gue-bc.com/

See if you can find a GUE "primer" class before you go all half-cocked and willy-nilly. It will save you loads of time and money....and Un-learning.

I am wanting to move into tech diving and am interested in getting my equipment set up in the DIR format. This way I will dive my rec dives in it and get comfortable with it and gain the muscle memory for the setup.

traditionally the DIR setup doesn't require matching regulators. There were arguments that the secondary should be non-adjustable and unbalanced for simplicity sake. I don't personally believe that it's any more reliable, but such is life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom