DIR OpenWater config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:
I would also like to know. Without the can, or device to hook the excess a free-floating 7ft hose is a pain. You constantly have to adjust it to get it to lie under the belly while horizontal.

X

My DIRF Instructor taught to tuck 7-foot hose under the knife sheath if can-less. He also said if that for those where that config was too tight it could be tucked in the waistband.

KOMPRESSOR:
Tucking overlenght hose in your belt isn't a good idea. It comes up when you least want it to. If a 5 ft is to short, it could of course be an idea to shorten the way around your waist by becoming a smaller person... But then if you're ok with a 7" & cannister you're at your target anyways.

I had to do this on 3 dives yesterday (no can light) and had no issues, but for sure for recreational Openwater Dives only. No penetrations or tech dives where the hose coming out could cause a more serious issue.

krcollins:
My DIRF Instructor taught to tuck 7-foot hose under the knife sheath if can-less. He also said if that for those where that config was too tight it could be tucked in the waistband.

Same deal. Tuck the excess under the waistband. Just curious why it isn't safe as per prior posts. In the bad old days I tucked a 9 ft Poseidon hose under my waistband vs. doing the bungee down the sides or tucked behind the manifold. Very ugly. However, that's how they did it in the early days before DIR methodology.

How can this even be debated?

... next thing someone is gonna say is that we have to use a snorkel. :wink:

I think you folks are arguing over something that isn't really that critical - you need to start thinking "big picture".

A 7 foot hose obviously needs to be secured somehow. Ideally, it should be tucked under a canister (or a hip-mounted pocket), and if you were doing a dive where you needed a light, then that would be a no-brainer. However, there are plenty of people out there who are doing DIR dives without a light, so an alternative needs to be considered for those situations.

I have personally used both the "tuck into belt" and "tuck under knife" methods when doing warm water rec dives without a light. Either one works fine in most cases. There are obviously situations where the hose can become untucked, but as someone pointed out, that can also happen with some of the smaller canister lights.

The main thing is to be aware of what's happening with your long hose, and make sure it stays secured until you need it. And that's going to be true no matter where it is tucked.

DIR-Atlanta:
I think you folks are arguing over something that isn't really that critical - you need to start thinking "big picture".

A 7 foot hose obviously needs to be secured somehow. Ideally, it should be tucked under a canister (or a hip-mounted pocket), and if you were doing a dive where you needed a light, then that would be a no-brainer. However, there are plenty of people out there who are doing DIR dives without a light, so an alternative needs to be considered for those situations.

I have personally used both the "tuck into belt" and "tuck under knife" methods when doing warm water rec dives without a light. Either one works fine in most cases. There are obviously situations where the hose can become untucked, but as someone pointed out, that can also happen with some of the smaller canister lights.

The main thing is to be aware of what's happening with your long hose, and make sure it stays secured until you need it. And that's going to be true no matter where it is tucked.
As many times in this forum you gave point to right direction. Untucking realy isn't issue as long as you're aware of your long hose during the dive. If it's annoying (too many untucking with no obvious reason) it's time to change the method or to check how the rest of the equipment is set-up (position of canister, hose routing, waist belt tightening, etc.). BTW checking position of equipment and touching parts of it (checking pockets, hoses, valves, etc.) is something that should be second nature.

I think you guys are missing my point here. IF you're not getting yourself a cannister light, then get a 5" hose so you don't have to tuck. If you have a cannister light, or plan to get one in the NEAR future, get a 7", and tuck until you can raise funds for the light of your dreams...

I personally don't like a tight waistband, so it might be the reason I have experienced tucked hoses coming loose. But I really don't see a point in getting a 7" if you're not getting a cannister... :coffee:

KOMPRESSOR:
But I really don't see a point in getting a 7" if you're not getting a cannister... :coffee:
Well, we don't use 7" hose just because we have canister - we use 7" hose because it enables easier sharing in all positions.

KOMPRESSOR:
I think you guys are missing my point here. IF you're not getting yourself a cannister light, then get a 5" hose so you don't have to tuck. If you have a cannister light, or plan to get one in the NEAR future, get a 7", and tuck until you can raise funds for the light of your dreams...

I personally don't like a tight waistband, so it might be the reason I have experienced tucked hoses coming loose. But I really don't see a point in getting a 7" if you're not getting a cannister... :coffee:

Quote from your earlier post :

Well, DIR divers (GUE instructors) over here prefer to advice not tucking long hoses under the belt, if it can be avoided. It's not going to kill you, but it's one more thing that can make a situation during a dive. Maybe it's not in your book, but at least you ought to hear others opinion and EXPERIENCE instead of cracking down on my by saying this isn't DIR. Because as I know GUE's thoughts behind their advices, experience it is.

If the advice is not to tuck the 7' hose because of the possibility of a situation...what are those situations? Of course, the standard config would be to route a 7' hose under can light. But a 7 foot hose hanging free vs. tucked under a belt, or other device presents a nuisance during a dive. What are these GUE instructor thoughts?
I don't think anyone is debating the functionality of a 5' hose.

X

KOMPRESSOR:
IF you're not getting yourself a cannister light, then get a 5" hose so you don't have to tuck.
Even though a can light is not required to take fundies, a good HID canister light should eventually be a standard part of your gear, IMHO. It's not just a light, but a basic tool of good team diving, at all levels of diving.

When you do have the light, you'll need a seven footer, so it's best to get used to working with it from the start.

If you never think you'll get an HID light, I'm wondering about your commitment to DIR diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom