DIR OpenWater config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
I might disagree with that...if it's not easily deployable and someone around you goes OOA, it might matter to them too. :wink:

Yeah but we don't have to dive with him now do we? :wink:

KOMPRESSOR:
I'm not a DIR diver but I do disagree. Tried it, tried it again, and it's like I say. It will come loose when you don't need it to. So if a 7 ft is to long, get one with the correct lenght. That's just the way it is, and I'm a really stubborn bloke! :D

Please limit answers in the DIR forum to DIR answers... If you are not "DIR" please do not post replies that may confuse others trying to learn about DIR.

Ben_ca:
Please limit answers in the DIR forum to DIR answers... If you are not "DIR" please do not post replies that may confuse others trying to learn about DIR.

Well, DIR divers (GUE instructors) over here prefer to advice not tucking long hoses under the belt, if it can be avoided. It's not going to kill you, but it's one more thing that can make a situation during a dive. Maybe it's not in your book, but at least you ought to hear others opinion and EXPERIENCE instead of cracking down on my by saying this isn't DIR. Because as I know GUE's thoughts behind their advices, experience it is.

KOMPRESSOR:
Well, DIR divers (GUE instructors) over here prefer to advice not tucking long hoses under the belt, if it can be avoided. It's not going to kill you, but it's one more thing that can make a situation during a dive. Maybe it's not in your book, but at least you ought to hear others opinion and EXPERIENCE instead of cracking down on my by saying this isn't DIR. Because as I know GUE's thoughts behind their advices, experience it is.

So what do GUE instructors there advice people do with the excess hose when diving can-less?

*Floater*:
So what do GUE instructors there advice people do with the excess hose when diving can-less?

That, my friend, isn't a problem. So we don't have to fix it! :D
-As most dives here below 10 meters demands a light anyways...

But if you by chance don't use your regular cannister on a dive, then of course tuck your hose wherever you like. I think what I've expressed is that if you're not getting a cannister light, there's no need for the extra 2 feet of hose either, since a tidy hose routing is always a goal. -And a 5 ft perfectly routed hose is, in those cases, a better long term choice than tucking over-lenght 7"s.

EDIT: I think it's been said something about 'round your knife or something?...

No, that would be an interim solution. The long term solution is "with the end in mind" , which would likely dictate a can light and ultimately a 7 foot hose. :wink:

KOMPRESSOR:
And a 5 ft perfectly routed hose is, in those cases, a better long term choice than tucking over-lenght 7"s.

I took Fundies in a 7' hose without a can light. I tucked my hose in my waistband. No comment was offered about that, and I don't recall any specific issues related to it, although I had so many issues in Fundies that one more might simply have gotten lost in my memory.

The 5' hose has routed nicely for several of my friends who have adopted the BP/W/long hose idea without springing for can lights. My husband felt he needed a swivel to get the reg to sit properly in his mouth with the 5' hose. I've used the 7' from the time I "converted", and a number of times in both warm water and cold without a can light. It's easier with.

The DIR idea is that you need to donate the primary, with a long enough hose to allow a safe and reasonably easy exit from wherever you are while air-sharing. At the same time, you want a hose routing that preserves streamlining and minimizes entanglement hazards. It is obvious that, in open water, you can conduct an air-sharing exit with a relatively short hose, even a 40". It is less comfortable, especially to do a horizontal ascent, than a 5 or 7 foot hose which offers more flexibility. Many of us simply elect to use the 7' hose all the time, since it's what's required for overhead or technical diving, and it's easier to use the same configuration all the time and get used to managing it than it is to switch.

The underlying principle, which is what one MUST understand for any protocol, is that you donate the primary, and use a hose long enough to permit a safe, expeditious exit with as correct technique as you can manage in the given situation. Thinking divers!

On an aside: I just checked the GUE standards and procedures, and they require a 5-7 ft. hose for rec 1 and DIRF, but for rec 2 a 7 ft. hose is required. All three courses can be completed on twins or single tanks. What surprised me though was that rec 2 (rec triox class) requires 2 regs and a Y-valve if done on a single tank. I hadn't realized before that Y-valves were DIR. I mean there's nothing wrong with them imo, but I always thought GUE would advocate using doubles for any dive that "required" 2 regs.

KOMPRESSOR:
Your choice, but a hose tucked in the belt still ISN'T a good idea.

Can you tell us why it isn't a good idea Kompressor? You mentioned it twice in this thread, this last time even in caps, so I assume you have some feelings/urgency with this?

Meng_Tze:
Can you tell us why it isn't a good idea Kompressor? You mentioned it twice in this thread, this last time even in caps, so I assume you have some feelings/urgency with this?

I would also like to know. Without the can, or device to hook the excess a free-floating 7ft hose is a pain. You constantly have to adjust it to get it to lie under the belly while horizontal.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom