DIR OpenWater config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely had mine come out and when it did, it took only a second to put it back in. My waist isn't an issue as my wife who is much smaller than me all around couldn't comfortably use a 5' either. She's using a 6' and I'm using a 7'. Some people aren't 5' 1 and 110 lbs. :wink:

I still don't think your reasoning is good enough to justify the extra cost of yet another hose, but if milking for another 40 - 60 bucks is working for you, go for it. =)

An important point in my opinion is that the whole setup is designed so that nothing needs to be changed as the diver progresses. More training and additional equipment is added but nothing at all is changed on the original configuration. A seven foot hose is what will be used and so it is advantageous to dive and train with one.

runamonk:
I rarely had mine come out and when it did, it took only a second to put it back in. My waist isn't an issue as my wife who is much smaller than me all around couldn't comfortably use a 5' either. She's using a 6' and I'm using a 7'. Some people aren't 5' 1 and 110 lbs. :wink:

I still don't think your reasoning is good enough to justify the extra cost of yet another hose, but if milking for another 40 - 60 bucks is working for you, go for it. =)

Your choice, but a hose tucked in the belt still ISN'T a good idea. I'm 6"2' and 230 lbs and I have no problem with a 5 ft. Hence I think most average sized (smaller than me...) people will have no trouble either. Those "extra" bucks isn't much to talk about. Around here one can always sell a slightly used 5 ft hose in a day any day. The best hose length is the one you get perfect routing with, and without tucking away... :D

KOMPRESSOR:
Tucking overlenght hose in your belt isn't a good idea. It comes up when you least want it to. If a 5 ft is to short, it could of course be an idea to shorten the way around your waist by becoming a smaller person... But then if you're ok with a 7" & cannister you're at your target anyways.

I haven't seen any problems from 7 ft hoses properly tucked in coming out when you least want to. If your waist belt is secure and snug it should not pop out unless it isn't adjusted properly in the first place.

Stowing your long hose with the reg in your mouth and your head turned to the left tuck all the excess hose making the hose drape neatly behind your head. If you stow with facing forward and/or tuck in too much when you look to your left your hose might pop out.

Ben_ca:
I haven't seen any problems from 7 ft hoses properly tucked in coming out when you least want to. If your waist belt is secure and snug it should not pop out unless it isn't adjusted properly in the first place.

Stowing your long hose with the reg in your mouth and your head turned to the left tuck all the excess hose making the hose drape neatly behind your head. If you stow with facing forward and/or tuck in too much when you look to your left your hose might pop out.

I'm not a DIR diver but I do disagree. Tried it, tried it again, and it's like I say. It will come loose when you don't need it to. So if a 7 ft is to long, get one with the correct lenght. That's just the way it is, and I'm a really stubborn bloke! :D

Perhaps you're routing your hose different than some of us? A 5' hose didn't fit me comfortably, it was too tight when it came across my chest, it didn't allow me to turn my head. How are you routing your hose?

I dive a 7' hose in OW with a single tank sometimes. When not diving with a canister light I tuck the excess hose under the sheath of my waist strap knife. When using a canister it goes under the canister and under the sheath. I also make sure the hose is not routed BEHIND my wing.

Dave

KOMPRESSOR:
Your choice, but a hose tucked in the belt still ISN'T a good idea. I'm 6"2' and 230 lbs and I have no problem with a 5 ft. Hence I think most average sized (smaller than me...) people will have no trouble either. Those "extra" bucks isn't much to talk about. Around here one can always sell a slightly used 5 ft hose in a day any day. The best hose length is the one you get perfect routing with, and without tucking away... :D

Tucking the 7 ft hose under the belt is what my DIRF instructor advocated when not using a can light. He also recommended a 7 ft hose for all diving, including rec diving.

When not using a can light I tuck the extra hose under the belt and it has never come loose or even felt like it might come loose because I keep my belt on tight.

*Floater*:
Tucking the 7 ft hose under the belt is what my DIRF instructor advocated when not using a can light. He also recommended a 7 ft hose for all diving, including rec diving.

When not using a can light I tuck the extra hose under the belt and it has never come loose or even felt like it might come loose because I keep my belt on tight.

This has been the accepted routing for years (when can-less). Kompressor pretty much stands alone on this one. I can't remember ANY DIR/Hog diver that shared his opinion.

Like Floater, I have never had my hose slip out unexpectedly... not that I remember, anyways. I certainly don't think of it as a significant concern.

The 40 inch? About the only time I recommend it is when someone is using a standard BC where it is difficult to efficiently route a longer primary. Of course, using a standard BC ain't exactly DIR/Hog, but...

I have never had the hose come out unexpectedly when the cannister light was not being used, so I must disagree with your assessment.

Tucking the hose at the waist is acceptable.

KOMPRESSOR:
I'm not a DIR diver but I do disagree. Tried it, tried it again, and it's like I say. It will come loose when you don't need it to. So if a 7 ft is to long, get one with the correct lenght. That's just the way it is, and I'm a really stubborn bloke! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom