DIR, NAUI TEC - Gear configs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gen732

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So the more I look around different sites, and the more research I do into various subjects, the more I keep running into gear configurations talking about DIR and NAUI TEC configs. Was even able to find a site that talked about NAUI TEC configs and how hoses are routed and such. Basically, at least for me, not being able to physically look at the configs and see how things are routed, connected, etc, it all became very confusing very quickly. :shakehead: :confused:

Basically, I was looking at these different configurations to see about streamlining and standardizations. My normal dive buddy knows my config, and I know his (including the little quirk of his dive computer being on his right side) extremely well. I just hate having hoses hanging out and items drooping off of me when I'm diving, and kinda looking to streamline my profile some. I guess normally people don't start looking at things like this until they start thinking tech diving and such. Guess it's just this little bad habit I have of wanting to learn everything I can about things I do. :dork2:

So, basically what I'm asking is multi-faceted. 1) What the heck is DIR? 2) Anyone got a simple (going to have to Barney Fife this one) description or link for the gear setups required for these? (Pictures help, as I'm more visually oriented than descriptive when it comes to learning).

Thanks ahead of time.

So, basically what I'm asking is multi-faceted. 1) What the heck is DIR? 2) Anyone got a simple (going to have to Barney Fife this one) description or link for the gear setups required for these?

wow, if you only knew just how loaded of a loaded question that is.

Basically DIR stands for Doing It Right. its a "holistic" approach... basically we all have the same style of gear (back plate and a wing with simple single piece of webbing) all set up the same way, generally DIR divers put in time practicing skills and worry about trim, buoyancy, situational awareness. DIR divers may get some strange looks when diving in vacation spots where most divers only dive once every year or two on warm weather trips. In general the gear is all black, with stainless steel attachments that look kinda mean and scary. Some people say that DIR divers are militaristic and afraid to think on their own. You may hear a bunch of on line bull $h!t about DIR and how rude DIR divers are... well it is just that, ON LINE-BS. So many people on line(especially here in scuba board) try to nit pick it to death. "Ok, I have the pockets on my wet/dry suit, I have my back up mask, smb and reel, wet notes, extra double ender, blah blah, what goes in which pocket? I have to be the exact same as JJ (Jarrod might be considered "God" do DIR folkies, he is president of GUE) DIR is not that anal, they came up with a guideline, if it is normal use stuff, put it in the left pocket, if it is emergency stuff and you will need it quickly, put it in the right pocket. Why? Well normal use, you can fumble around for an extra second or two because your deco bottles are on the left side and your HID light is on the left hand, you keep your right hand and side clear incase you ever need to donate air in an OOG situation. Emergency is on the right... now that is explained, it makes sense doesn't it? Its not just an army following the ranting of one egotistical maniac.

All this said, this is going to be a fun thread to follow... oh by the way... for the record....

"I am not a DIR diver, but I am GUE trained"

How anyone can claim this is "streamlined" from a hydrodynamic context is beyond me...

diverfront.jpg

How anyone can claim this is "streamlined" from a hydrodynamic context is beyond me...
That drysuit is baggy on the skinny guy, no doubt about it.

But other than that, what changes would you make to do tech or cave dives with doubles, stages, deco gas? How hydrodynamic can you be considering you would be lugging doubles and stages around for hours in cold water?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Looks like G3's set-up. The irony is juicy-thick - and so, so sweet to the thinking diver...

Here you go:

rig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom