DIR, NAUI TEC - Gear configs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A big part of why the picture looks so weird is because the photographer used a wide angle lens close-up at eye level. With the "lightbox" mask taking away all context, it makes the subject look comically big-headed and small-footed. But considering he's got a drysuit, argon, doubles, and a can light, that's about as clean of a setup as you can get.

Well, it's not a very well cut suit. And the inflated wing isn't helping anything.

He must be sweating like a mo-fo :D

Well, it's not a very well cut suit. And the inflated wing isn't helping anything.

He must be sweating like a mo-fo :D

My impression has always been that he wasn't wearing undergarments under the suit, which would account for the super baggy look once he zipped up and shrink-wrapped himself. But even so, I'm certainly glad it wasn't me standing under full studio lighting, wearing a dry-suit and full rig during a lengthy photo shoot!

I wonder if Clinton knows he's become the subject of Internet scrutiny? :)

One of the bullet points constantly being harped on is "reducing drag." One of the reasons "bondage wings" are forbidden in DIR is the wrinkles caused by the bungee causes unnecessary drag, which compared to the picture is, well, ironic.
[disclaimer] I'm not DIR/GUE trained either, but I do use some of the gear configs [/disclaimer]

My understanding "forbidding" the use of bungeed wings is not any drag caused by the bungees, but rather the ramifications of a wing puncture/failure. If a non-bungeed wing were punctured at depth, the diver could change orientation and still maintain air/gas in some portion of the wing and retain some buoyancy (depending on the degree of failure of course). This would not be possible with a bungeed wing as the bungees would squeeze the wing (as designed) and would then force any air/gas out the rupture: Less bulk when not completely filled, and not filled at all when holed...

...not to mention the fact they look ridiculous. :D

[disclaimer] I'm not DIR/GUE trained either, but I do use some of the gear configs [/disclaimer]

My understanding "forbidding" the use of bungeed wings is not any drag caused by the bungees, but rather the ramifications of a wing puncture/failure. If a non-bungeed wing were punctured at depth, the diver could change orientation and still maintain air/gas in some portion of the wing and retain some buoyancy (depending on the degree of failure of course). This would not be possible with a bungeed wing as the bungees would squeeze the wing (as designed) and would then force any air/gas out the rupture: Less bulk when not completely filled, and not filled at all when holed...

What if the puncture was at the top in the middle? :D

My understanding "forbidding" the use of bungeed wings is not any drag caused by the bungees, but rather the ramifications of a wing puncture/failure.

My understanding is that gas trapping is the issue.

If I recall, there may be something in the literature about increased drag from turbulent flow, but that's a bunch of nonsense. I highly doubt that a lack of bungees will guarantee laminar flow, and even if it does, turbulent flow isn't necessarily a bad thing from a drag perspective.

Last edited:
Don't you practice inverted ascents?:D:D

Why invert? Just lift your butt as if you were going to vent (which you'll need to do anyways) and ascend normally :)

Basically, I was looking at these different configurations to see about streamlining and standardizations. ... I just hate having hoses hanging out and items drooping off of me when I'm diving, and kinda looking to streamline my profile some. ...

So, basically what I'm asking is multi-faceted. 1) What the heck is DIR? 2) Anyone got a simple (going to have to Barney Fife this one) description or link for the gear setups required for these? (Pictures help, as I'm more visually oriented than descriptive when it comes to learning).

Thanks ahead of time.

Keep in mind that DIR is once and foremost a team-oriented approach to diving. So, if you'll be diving solo, you won't be diving DIR. And if you'll be diving with a non-DIR buddy, or in a team that includes at least one non-DIR diver, you won't be diving DIR. And in these cases, DIR gear configurations and standardized DIR protocols might not be appropriate.

You might consider more broadly what is called "Hogarthian" diving and gear configurations to help with streamlining concerns.

FWIW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom