DIR, NAUI TEC - Gear configs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the "MC pack"? How do you managed to restow something between your back and the backplate while diving? :confused:

You know, back in the days when I was using a snorkel, I found that trying to use one when the surface is really choppy wasn't significantly better than just timing my breathing for when my head is out of the water. The water would splash over the end of the snorkel, and I'd get a mouth full of water instead of air. Unlike breathing without one, though, there wasn't necessarily any warning it was going to happen, because some waves would get in and others not. At any rate, I decided it was easier to manage breathing in chop without it than with it.

The problem with these statements is that they assume you will have no problem keeping your head above water.

A snorkel gives you more leeway on actually reaching the air supply at the surface.

The problem with these statements is that they assume you will have no problem keeping your head above water.

A snorkel gives you more leeway on actually reaching the air supply at the surface.

So do ditchable weights, if it comes to that ... which would, in fact, constitute more of an emergency than a routine situation.

For those of us diving in cold water, there's enough inherent buoyancy in your exposure suit to turn you into a cork should you decide to drop your weights.

Snorkels are for snorkeling ... I take one whenever I travel to tropical locations. For diving in my local conditions, it's a completely unneeded piece of equipment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A snorkel will give you a whole 5-10cm of height clearance. If you're THAT low in the water you're grossly overweighted and need to do a proper weight check or you're doing something dull like wearing a single tank wing with a twinset or similar.

Ive witnessed and read about far more incidents from people losing weight by accident than those who needed to ditch them.

Snorkels are great for snorkelling but are completely useless if you descend to a depth of 5cm or more and if you are weighted properly. As for rough weather - forget it- waves over 5-10cm in height splash over it.

So do ditchable weights, if it comes to that ... which would, in fact, constitute more of an emergency than a routine situation.

For those of us diving in cold water, there's enough inherent buoyancy in your exposure suit to turn you into a cork should you decide to drop your weights.

Snorkels are for snorkeling ... I take one whenever I travel to tropical locations. For diving in my local conditions, it's a completely unneeded piece of equipment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In that case, then you are wasting air/nitrox from your tanks during your surface swims every chance you get when you are without a snorkel.

For twin tanks and rule of thirds, it doesn't matter if you waste nitrox/trimix before the actual dive, because you have plenty extra to start with.

But for surface swims with single tank scuba, you're a waste.:eyebrow:

In that case, then you are wasting air/nitrox from your tanks during your surface swims every chance you get when you are without a snorkel.

For twin tanks and rule of thirds, it doesn't matter if you waste nitrox/trimix before the actual dive, because you have plenty extra to start with.

So you're saying that just because I strap twin tanks on my back that I'm going to be using the rule of thirds?

What if my exit from the water doesn't dictate that I have to exit from the same location that i entered. Am I still going to use the rule of thirds?

What if I would like to exit at the same location, but if needed I could abort and exit the dive at any location. Am I still going to use the rule of thirds?

How is a snorkel going to help me if there are 2 - 6 foot swells?

I don't know about you, but normally I just lay on my back and leisurely swim out to the dive site while talking with my buddy. I've never been in a situation where I've wished I would have brought a snorkel with me... unless snorkeling was what I wanted to do.

So you're saying that just because I strap twin tanks on my back that I'm going to be using the rule of thirds?

What if my exit from the water doesn't dictate that I have to exit from the same location that i entered. Am I still going to use the rule of thirds?

What if I would like to exit at the same location, but if needed I could abort and exit the dive at any location. Am I still going to use the rule of thirds?

How is a snorkel going to help me if there are 2 - 6 foot swells?

I don't know about you, but normally I just lay on my back and leisurely swim out to the dive site while talking with my buddy. I've never been in a situation where I've wished I would have brought a snorkel with me... unless snorkeling was what I wanted to do.

Don't sweat it. It is comments like the ones earlier by Nereas that make me think he is a 12 year old with a computer who knows how to use google and Wikkipedia. Otherwise, his comments make zero sense. "Rule of thirds" .............jeesh.......pretty clear he must not have been able to find that one on wikkipedia..........

Don't sweat it. It is comments like the ones earlier by Nereas that make me think he is a 12 year old with a computer who knows how to use google and Wikkipedia. Otherwise, his comments make zero sense. "Rule of thirds" .............jeesh.......pretty clear he must not have been able to find that one on wikkipedia..........

Rule of thirds (diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited:

What makes you think I'm breathing from my regs when I surface swim?

And so what if I do? What makes you think I don't plan for that contingency if I need to?

I don't normally use a rule of thirds ... I've got better gas management tools at my disposal ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom