DIR hose length on a single tank set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I am diving a single tank set-up, should I be going with a 5' hose or do most of you use a 7' hose regardless?

mwilding once bubbled...
If I am diving a single tank set-up, should I be going with a 5' hose or do most of you use a 7' hose regardless?

I like the 7 foot hose. It tuck nicely into my waist belt or behind a cannister light.

Your body size will also determine what is comfortable for you.

ditto

I use a 7' all the time - tucks neatly under the canister light. Use a 5' or 6' depending on your build if you don't use a canister light.

Well, I'm not "DIR", so maybe my answer shouldn't be counted.

I don't have a canister light and dive a 5' hose with a bungied backup reg.

Sean

I also use the 7' hose primary, bungied second on my rec rig.
I like the way the 7 wraps better.

BTW I'm 5'8", 200 lbs and for now use a Zeagle Scout BC.

At work I dive the LONG hose, 50', 300' or more as needed.:D

I prefer the 7' hose even with my singles.

My wife, on the other hand, likes the 5'.

One factor you should consider before deciding is whether there is a convenient anchor point for a 7' hose. On a Halcyon BP&W, this can be a can light or a pocket. I've also seen it done with the waist knife.

A BC may lack a decent attachment point for the longer hose. While I've seen people tuck it into their waist strap, I've found that the hose becomes untucked.

well, I am in the process of reconfiguring my BP.

Right now it is Aluminum with ACB pockets, but by next weekend it will be steel with either no pockets or clipper pockets.

Do the clipper pockets or the OMS equivalent protrude enough to wrap the hose around? I suppose I could use the knife, but that is pushed over to the left side...

I also dive only the 7 foot hose regaurdless of the tank configuration I'm using. Even with out the canister light it's long enough to tuck into the wast strap and keep it secure.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom