DIR horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
Wow -- couldn't disagree more. I can see (and even agree with) viewing your buddy as a key redundant system, but as a primary system?
I don't think I said anywhere that your buddy was your primary system.

You are still covering the majority of things. You're buddy is looking at the few areas that are awkward for you without rotating or losing trim. Specifically directly above and behind and above you. Sorry if that was unclear. Perhaps it will make more sense if you read it again in this light.

d33ps1x:
I don't think I said anywhere that your buddy was your primary system.

Hmm, that was how I interpreted "As far as taking care of your 6 o'clock (watching your back on ascents), this is your buddies job not yours."

You are still covering the majority of things. You're buddy is looking at the few areas that are awkward for you without rotating or losing trim. Specifically directly above and behind and above you. Sorry if that was unclear. Perhaps it will make more sense if you read it again in this light.

I'm with UP; I think it's my job to cover the entirety of things, not just the majority. It's my buddy's job to be a backup system; to catch something if I miss it, but (excluding rescue cirecumstances, etc.) no part of my ascent is his job primarily. Sorry if I'm still misunderstanding somehow -- but even after your calrification, I still understand you to mean that there's a sector for which the buddy is primarily responsible.

lairdb:
I'm with UP; I think it's my job to cover the entirety of things, not just the majority. It's my buddy's job to be a backup system; to catch something if I miss it, but (excluding rescue cirecumstances, etc.) no part of my ascent is his job primarily. Sorry if I'm still misunderstanding somehow -- but even after your calrification, I still understand you to mean that there's a sector for which the buddy is primarily responsible.
Again I am not nor have I ever suggested your buddy take the primary role in your own welfare.

If you find further clarification is needed at this point please attend a fundamentals course where team ascents are covered in depth both in and out of the water.

lairdb:
I interpreted "As far as taking care of your 6 o'clock (watching your back on ascents), this is your buddies job not yours."

I'm with UP; I think it's my job to cover the entirety of things, not just the majority. It's my buddy's job to be a backup system; to catch something if I miss it
If he was speaking DIR (and I believe he was) d33ps1x meant that your buddy is watching where you can't... that is where ever the back of you head is pointing (your 6 o'clock.)

Like I said in my post... *I think it is my job to be aware of what I am ascending, descending or swimming into.

I still appreciate it when my buddy informs me that I am about to swim face first into a lion's mane jelly.*

I have learned a valuable lesson about doing horizontal ascents. However, this one happened on our way down at the start of the dive in the shallows (maybe around 10-15 ft).

I got in the water first, followed by my wife and my son and our DM (my son's buddy).

My son was having problems equalizing, so he would yoyo to go deeper and then go up a bit to relieve the pressure if he couldn't equalize. This was happening for about 3-5 minutes and he and the DM were in about 10ft. My wife signaled me to go see what was wrong and to help bring my son down.

Maintaining trim and a horizontal position, I got behind my son who was in a vertical position. The DM was also in a horizontal position to my son's right side.

Suddenly, I could hear a low rumbling sound and fear suddenly dawned on me--it was an approaching boat! I could see the shadow of the hull fast approaching us with the props at full speed. The DM and I understood what we had to do, so we grabbed my son and we pulled him down as fast as we could fin down. Fortunately, we got away from the props and we caught our breath at about 15 feet.

If the DM and I were in a vertical position, it would have cost us seconds to get into a horizantal position and I could only shudder to think what the outcome would have been like.

Lessons learned: Stay horizontal in descent and ascents. You are always in good position to respond to any emergency.

Hope this helps,
Hory

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom