DIR Halcyon question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difference being... bungied wings do not look cool on singles or doubles.

Some people think the bungied wings of death look tek, which ususally means it looks cool. Same with valve cages and having your entire dive locker clipped to your rig. Unfortunately, this "perception" sells divegear to unsuspecting divers.

I remember the first time I saw someone dive with a compliant BP/W. It was about my 3rd dive after OW training. I even said to my wife "That gear is total cr@p. It must be 100 years old." Little did I know...

Mike

Some people think the bungied wings of death look tek, which ususally means it looks cool. Same with valve cages and having your entire dive locker clipped to your rig. Unfortunately, this "perception" sells divegear to unsuspecting divers.

I remember the first time I saw someone dive with a compliant BP/W. It was about my 3rd dive after OW training. I even said to my wife "That gear is total cr@p. It must be 100 years old." Little did I know...

Mike

Lol no kidding!!

My well used 38lb doubles wing is wicked ghetto.

BTW - the following pic in my photos section is of me in a single-tank red OMS non-bungied 27# wing, with a DR BP. Same BP/W I used in fundies. Trims me out nicely, although the inflator hose is too long.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76950/ppuser/25759

IMHO I don't really like OMS' politics so I would not buy their products again, especially when some of their competitors make such good stuff. Then again, because I dive singles so infrequently this wing will probably never need to be replaced. I wouldn't go so far as to ditch what I already have if it already works so well.

Mike

Last edited:
The reason I'm so set on OMS gear is that I can get a big discount on OMS gear, apeks and maybe dive rite, but not on Halcyon.

Apeks makes a bp/w that is DIR compliant. Well, after you swap out the way too long inflator hose...

Wow, danvolker, that was very interesting. I'm probably at least a month or so away from the actual purchase, so I have time to look at other options. There's only one place that I know of around where I am where I could go to actually see or try a good selection halcyon stuff on.

As for lift, if I'm eventually going doubles etc, 30lbs is too little on the lift right? That's probably a question for another time/thread... at least for specifics. I was looking at bladders that were in the 60lb range. Of course... I haven't completely excluded the idea of having 2 bladders, one for single tank and one for doubles. That's the thing I like most about the idea of BP/W... they are MODULAR!

Clammy,
Like several other DIR people have mentioned, a person using a single tank and a 60 pound lift wing ( or more) is both dangerous and huge drag. It will not orient you while swimming as well as the small wing, and you will swim slower with more effort--so you will breathe more of your tank--while your evil twin with the small Halcyon wing is swimming effortlessly, and always has way more air than you at the dive end.
More importantly, BC's can accidentally fully inflate durring a dive. Many studies have shown excellent survivabilty from the speeds you are pulled up at by a small wing, while severe embolism is a typical result with the big monsterlift BC....

Various doubles configurations, often involving clipping a stage under your left arm ( it follows in the stripstream from your armpit with minimal increase in drag) can have even more lift ramifications---there are many reasons for technical and cave divers to have a high lioft wing, and often more than one doubles wing...and all of the good ones will be using a small singles wing for diving a single ( except maybe in an emergency :) And using doubles means the wing has a very different mass and shape to balance in the water...You are obviously thinking alot about all of this, so hopefully this will help you....this is also the type of thing you can experience for yourself, if you know someone with a large bladder doubles set up--try it with a single tank--you will hate it when compared to the small Halcyon Wing, or even the small dive rite wing.
Good Luck,
Dan Volker

Give Tobin at DeepSeaSupply a call. He can tell you exactly what gear you need based on your diving requirements, and best of all, he won't sell you anything you don't need. Very knowledgeable, great customer service, high quality gear, and good prices.

I checked out some Halcyon equipment, where Karim teaches out of and will be trying some of it out in the pool in a few weeks. Thanks again for everyones info!

As outlined is several responses before, the requirement does not specifically say that you have to use Halcyon gear. However, if you read the DIR-requirements careful, you will find that there are not many choices left. You can certainly chose Apeks over ScubaPro, if you prefer, but you will run into problems with most harnesses (just to name one example) from manufacturers other than Halcyon, since they have at least one quick release built in.

While (as mentioned earlier) this isn't exactly true, I think it is interesting to note that one of the major authors of the GUE/DIR way is Jarrod Jablonski, who is (maybe was) the CEO of Halcyon.

Blister

Take for example Fins. say for example you bought a cheap pair to get you thru OW ($70) then a pair of splits later on ($200) then decide you want to go this route with Jets ($70 new) Imagine how much you would have saved going to jets right away.... same goes with regs and BC's.

Wow, that describes what I did perfectly. It is an expensive way to go :D

While (as mentioned earlier) this isn't exactly true, I think it is interesting to note that one of the major authors of the GUE/DIR way is Jarrod Jablonski, who is (maybe was) the CEO of Halcyon.

Blister

I believe Halcyon was started to provide the gear that the early DIR/WKPP divers needed and couldn't find anyplace else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom