DIR Halcyon question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy, question for ya... why wait until you are ready for tech and cave diving to take fundies? It is called GUE Fundamentals. "GUE Fundamentals
Purpose
The GUE Fundamentals course is designed to cultivate the essential techniques required by all sound diving practice, irrespective of level or environment"

why wait until you have a bunch of dives and have "bad habits" engrained that you have to relearn?

$$$$$$ ha ha ha. with gear requirements and such, I'm just going to build up to it. Any additional con-ed is just not in my budget right now, for the remainder of the year at least. I will take the class before cave/tech... but it may not be RIGHT before, it'll just be when I'm ready to get into that part of planning out my path, schedule, and budget.

I totally understand the funds issue. We have never met, so obviously I don't know how you dive... but if I were a betting man, I would be willing to put money up that you will be walking away from fundies and think that you are not ready for tech or cave right after. Fundamentals is not much of a work shop, they demo some skills, you fumble your way through the skills and then at the end they tell you hat you need to go practice swimming backwards, spinning donuts (helicopter turns) hovering 6" off the sand, valve drills, maskles work, all that fun stuff, and then come back for a re-evaluation. Taking the class will more than likely show you just how much you don't know. There are a group of people (blanking on the name right now) that are getting together every thursday night down at redondo and doing training. If you go to one of these dives, you can see the skills you will need for fundies, and then when you take the class you wont be so overwhelmed. They're free too. If you want more info on fundies, shoot me a pm, and Ill give you my number.

Last edited:
Where's that "Beating a dead horse" animation when I need it?

Sorry for the delay:
beatdeadhorse5.gif

I totally understand the funds issue. We have never met, so obviously I don't know how you dive... but if I were a betting man, I would be willing to put money up that will be walking away from fundies and think that you are ready for tech or cave right after. Fundamentals is not much of a work shop, they demo some skills, you fumble your way through the skills and then at the end they tell you hat you need to go practice swimming backwards, spinning donuts (helicopter turns) hovering 6" off the sand, valve drills, maskles work, all that fun stuff, and then come back for a re-evaluation. Taking the class will more than likely show you just how much you don't know. There are a group of people (blanking on the name right now) that are getting together every thursday night down at redondo and doing training. If you go to one of these dives, you can see the skills you will need for fundies, and then when you take the class you wont be so overwhelmed. They're free too. If you want more info on fundies, shoot me a pm, and Ill give you my number.

Well, you might actually lose that bet! ha ha, only cause it's never been my intent to rush into cave/tech. I may be asking all the questions now but I always say, not for another 1 and half to 2 years and 150 more dives at LEAST. I just like to accumulate info as I go. I see your point about fundies though. For me, it was just going to be the step BEFORE the training. Maybe I'll come check you guys out, at least just so I can watch.

OOPS TYPO!!! I meant to say that I believe you will think you are NOT ready. I went into Fundies expecting to not pass and was just there to learn. The instructor said, ok now try this... I acutally laughed at him, you actually think i can do that? I tried it, failed (though not that bad) and at the end I thanked him for teaching me such a cool skill that I can go practice. I also thought he was nuts when he asked me how much gas I had left and said not to look at my spg. Now on most (non training) dives, I can guess pretty damn close how much gas I have left without looking. You will learn lots, including how much you have left to loose.

The sooner you do Fundementals the better. Then you'll have plenty of time to practice discussing the merits of OMS bungies vs none :D

Oh, shut up, you'll be stone dead in a minute!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom