DIr-f was a real eye opener!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Randy, that's a pretty.... 'interesting' view of GUE.

GUE is a training organization.

They teach recreational and technical diving classes (Technical/Deco diving, cave diving, and rebreather diving). Their instructors are cave divers, deep wreck divers, etc etc.

All of their classes are based on the Doing It Right, or DIR, system of diving. It's a holistic approach to diving meant to maximize safety through the use of teamwork, training, skills, and robust, streamlined gear.

Their basic recreational class is called DIR: Fundamentals. It's [usually] a weekend class that teaches the fundamentals of better diving: trim, propulsion techniques, buoyancy, emergency procedures, ascents/descents, and gear configuration. The course is notoriously difficult because the level of skill it asks you to have at common diving tasks is quite high. To pass you need to have very good buoyancy, trim, be able to fin effectively in a variety of methods, be a good buddy/teammate, and demonstrate certain skills such as effective air sharing and ascents.

The DIR *system* was mostly developed at the Woodville Karst Plains Project, or WKPP, in Florida. The WKPP is a government-sanctioned cave diving project that has been exploring the Woodville Karst underwater cave system for quite some time. The bulk of the system was developed by George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski while George was the Project Director. George and Jarrod executed a record-breaking 19,000 foot penetration dive at a depth of 300' using rebreathers at the WKPP. George is now an outspoken and widely hated 'authority' on DIR whereas Jarrod Jablonski (commonly referred to as JJ) is the head of GUE.

Incidentally, Jarrod started a company called Halcyon to create gear that was for the most part based on already existing products plus a few 'improvements' (usually simplifications) to create "DIR" style gear. For example, the Halcyon Explorer BC wings are similar to the Dive Rite Classic BC wings, but with a slightly different shape, a shorter inflator hose (so it doesn't dangle and get in the way) and without the pull dump on the inflator (a potential failure point). GUE and DIR are widely accused of being JJ's way of marketing Halcyon gear.

You can find more info about all of this at:

www.gue.com
wkpp.org
ekpp.org
www.halcyon.net
http://www.dirquest.com/about_dir.shtml

it was/is a quick response to her question of what DIR is. Nothing more.. I didn't want to write a book, but if you do.. regale us with your insight. :)

My suggestion to her is to check it out.

Do you have anymore corrections for me, JohnnyBoy?

Randy43068:
..........There are many people who don't know much about it but will speak out against the concept so take their criticisms with a grain of salt and check DIR out for yourself.

Randy

I agree but the other half of this coin are the horses xxxs that go around screaming stroke at everyone not in a BP. If we could get both of them to go somewhere by themselves and trash each other we would all be better off. DIR-F is a really good course well worth taking even for divers like myself who have no interest in tech/cave diving but just want to improve their skills. If I learned nothing else in DIR-F, it was what a really good diver looks like....and how bad I looked, man I hated that video. I fully expected to have drill sargent type instructors when I took it due to what I had heard from the more radical horses rears I spoke of above. Fact is, my instructors were some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they were also very good divers. I did not go full DIR but I did carry over most of the diving and buddy skills to my diving style. It has been one of the few classes I have taken that I felt like I got my moneys worth out of it.

Randy43068:
it was/is a quick response to her question of what DIR is. Nothing more.. I didn't want to write a book, but if you do.. regale us with your insight. :)

My suggestion to her is to check it out.

Do you have anymore corrections for me, JohnnyBoy?
I was refuting your assertion that GUE is "in essence, cave divers, and people who explore underwater areas usually regarded as off limits to recreational divers." I dunno where that comes from, exactly...

I went on further to elaborate on a couple of other points.

Your sarcasm isn't necessary and is not appreciated.

Nor is yours. As I said, it's a "nutshell" view of DIR...
I nor anyone else needed your comment "Wow Randy, that's a pretty.... 'interesting' view of GUE."

Now drop it before this gets out of hand.

herman:
I agree but the other half of this coin are the horses xxxs that go around screaming stroke at everyone not in a BP. If we could get both of them to go somewhere by themselves and trash each other we would all be better off.
I think the majority of those who have adopted the DIR way of diving would agree with you. Unfortunately, one of the founders of the program is an Internet sociopath who really doesn't care how much damage he does to the image of the program ... and some newly-minted DIR-F divers seem to think it's cool to emulate him.

Others, with perfectly good intentions, make comments that can be mistaken as put-downs by non-DIR divers who consider themselves (often rightly so) to be very skilled in their own right.

They are excellent divers who have developed a "system" of diving that is unmatched in skill level, and safety by any other agency.
Things like that ... in part due to the damage caused by the first group ... tend to get blown way out of proportion, and create issues where issues simply shouldn't exist. FWIW - there are some other, excellent programs out there ... and it's important to recognize that DIR is not for everyone.

herman:
DIR-F is a really good course well worth taking even for divers like myself who have no interest in tech/cave diving but just want to improve their skills. If I learned nothing else in DIR-F, it was what a really good diver looks like....and how bad I looked, man I hated that video. I fully expected to have drill sargent type instructors when I took it due to what I had heard from the more radical horses rears I spoke of above. Fact is, my instructors were some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they were also very good divers. I did not go full DIR but I did carry over most of the diving and buddy skills to my diving style.
That right there is the message I prefer to give to folks who ask. If we could just focus on the benefits of the class ... without making subjective comparisons to what others are doing ... it would be a lot easier to discuss the subject without all the static that comes about because folks start seeing put-downs where, perhaps, none were intended.

That ... and if someone could just manage to separate George from his keyboard ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow guys.... Thanks for all the great Input! :) I will check it out. anything to improve ones skills for better diving and safer diving is worth it. One can never be safe enough.
Besides guys, all people who put out a new and effective method that works is always a target for criticism both good and bad. It is up to the individual to decide if the method is right for them. :D

thanks again! :D

mushymom:
Wow guys.... Thanks for all the great Input! :) I will check it out. anything to improve ones skills for better diving and safer diving is worth it. One can never be safe enough.
Besides guys, all people who put out a new and effective method that works is always a target for criticism both good and bad. It is up to the individual to decide if the method is right for them. :D

Agreed. I am hooked up with this system but didn't have the chance to take DIR-F as yet. Just finished reading "DIR-Fundamental of Better Diving". (Is so INTO it that it took just one day to finish reading it.) Have configured my gears to be DIR compliant except my regulator set as my 22" hose is on the way.

Anyway, hope you will enjoy the system.

mushymom:

As I said, don't get scared by all the noise and hot air. Most of it will come from people who aren't yet GUE certified or just recently certified. :wink: Inform yourself and make your own opinion of it.
I know it changed the way I see scuba diving and how I dive.

wunat:
Agreed. I am hooked up with this system but didn't have the chance to take DIR-F as yet. Just finished reading "DIR-Fundamental of Better Diving". (Is so INTO it that it took just one day to finish reading it.) Have configured my gears to be DIR compliant except my regulator set as my 22" hose is on the way.

Anyway, hope you will enjoy the system.

have you talked to Vie? He's on here... also from Bangkok and just got done with DIR-F

ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom