DIR-F swim requirement question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a few relatively simple questions regarding the breath hold swim requirement for DIR-F.

Is the 50 foot breath hold swim requirement to be completed underwater (completely submerged) or on the surface? Is the swim in SCUBA gear or just swim trunks? Is the swim with fins or bare feet?

I have contemplated taking the DIR-F course, but I am in no particular hurry. I have not contacted any instructors. My schedule is more the problem than anything in the timing of a course.

Im not overly concerned about my ability to swim, but the course descriptions available on line are vague on this specific question.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
Is the 50 foot breath hold swim requirement to be completed underwater (completely submerged) or on the surface? Is the swim in SCUBA gear or just swim trunks? Is the swim with fins or bare feet?
swim trunks, bare feet and as long as you face is in the water, your cool (unless there is some super anal GUE instructor out there)

MonkSeal:
completely submerged
Some people are naturally buoyant. They might start underwater, but they will end up on the surface at some point.

JeffG:
Some people are naturally buoyant. They might start underwater, but they will end up on the surface at some point.

nearly everybody should be buoyant with full lungs...

it helps if you get down 4' at least at the beginning, your lungs will compress and you'll be less buoyant and less likely to pop...

i've been getting 60-70' consistantly except for when i let myself pop accidentally...

some things that i've found help are: fluid swimming, predominantly pulling with your arms, use your kicks to extend glides after you pull, but keep in mind that your leg muscles are big and use a lot of O2...

it was pretty cool the first time i started at the 'T' mark on one end of the pool and made it all the way to the other end....

I'm extremely buoyant and ended up on the surface about halfway down -- kept my head in the water, and passed the swim.

TSandM:
I'm extremely buoyant and ended up on the surface about halfway down -- kept my head in the water, and passed the swim.
Ha! This was an heroic event! Stress, tension, drama, and then victory! I think she got a round of applause. :wink:

I think if out instructor had not passed her after all that, we'd have lynched the guy.

One thing not mentioned so far is that no push off the side at the start is allowed. At least I was not allowed too when I did it.

GUE Website:
This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.
I have heard of students needing to take the test in a drysuit because of the water temps and not having a pool available.

I don't know if I got a round of applause. I had my head in the water. I DESERVED a round of applause, though. That's one of the hardest things I ever made myself do :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom