DIR-F swim requirement question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the advice, i just have a few follow-ups.

CameronMartz:
2. Make sure you're fully submerged. If your kicks break the surface of the water, you'll lose thrust.

what type of kick do you recommend? also wouldn't you have less drag or resistance to contend with if only part of your body was submerged, especially if you could do it sideways (dolphin style) the way your body is positionioned during freestyle between stroke switches? (just wondering)

4. Emphasize a long stroke followed by a long glide. It's not a race to the other side- it's about getting the most distance out of the breath you took. After a point, the faster you swim, the less distance you'll get.

breaststroke? or some other style?

There are other tricks with hyperventilation, exhaling at the end, etc., but these can increase your chance of passing out. The standards are such that you will pass them without taking such risks if you just practice a little.

the 50ft breath hold swim is not a concern, i'm more interested in replicating the 300ft, or 100m, feats that some members have mentioned here. preferably without kicking off the wall - though i'd be happy with just half that distance. just wondering how the pros do it.

*Floater*:
what type of kick do you recommend? also wouldn't you have less drag or resistance to contend with if only part of your body was submerged, especially if you could do it sideways (dolphin style) the way your body is positionioned during freestyle between stroke switches? (just wondering)

You have to be fully submerged, you'll have far more resistance if you are at the surface.

*Floater*:
breaststroke? or some other style?

It depends on the distance you are trying for. Really long distances take time to build up to and what works for one person may not work for another.

I use a frog kick and an outward hand stroke together. I kick and pull my hands backward at the same time. Then you glide as far as you can and try to relax as you glide. I bring my arms forward just before the kick process repeats.

*Floater*:
the 50ft breath hold swim is not a concern, i'm more interested in replicating the 300ft, or 100m, feats that some members have mentioned here. preferably without kicking off the wall - though i'd be happy with just half that distance. just wondering how the pros do it.

You'll have to kick off the wall to make the turn at least, unless you find a 100 meter pool. Work your way up slowly and concentrate on maximum efficiency per stroke/kick. NEVER try for long distances that unless you have a certified rescue person watching you. I used to be a lifeguard and always had another lifeguard when I set new personal bests. Also, you can blackout it's a real concern. 50 meters is not easy even if you are pretty good. 100 meters and it's very easy to black out.

Oddly, once you have the technique down, you are not ever grasping for breath, even if you nearly passed out. This is because you need to use as little muscle as possible and often if you've hyperventilated you don't have a huge buildup of Co2, but you've used all the oxygen. You can blackout with little to no feeling of really needing to breath.

Look at it this way as well, it takes about 3-4 minutes to swim 100 meters underwater. Speed is not your friend here. Simply holding your breath for 3 minutes is hard for most.

*Floater*:

To emphasize a point already made, 100m breathhold swim is not something to fool with. This is the realm of idiots and people with coaches and in-water lifeguards. To be honest, when I hear most people talk about swimming 100m underwater, I usually find out they meant 50yds not knowing that most pools are only 25 yards across. <g> As Xanthro said, 100m underwater swim is a long time to hold your breath, let alone while also swimming.

When I was training for Ironman triathlons, I used to swim 50yds or meters (depending on whether it was long or short course) underwater every time I got into the pool as a gut check. I couldn't imagine the discipline and training it would take to double that distance, and this is from a guy who used to ride 100 miles every Saturday and run 20 miles every Sunday. For fun.

Keep in mind that if you ever get the chance to find your breathhold limit, you drown unless someone is right there to save you. If you really want to do this, find an apnea club and/or coach, and Do It Right.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
To emphasize a point already made, 100m breathhold swim is not something to fool with. This is the realm of idiots and people with coaches and in-water lifeguards. To be honest, when I hear most people talk about swimming 100m underwater, I usually find out they meant 50yds not knowing that most pools are only 25 yards across. <g>

As someone who has done 100 meters I agree with EVERYTHING Cameron said. Even with coaches and in-water lifeguards, it's really still the realm of idiots.

As I said, it is very easy to black out and without someone to rescue you, you will drown.

50 meters is quite an accomplishment, and 100 meters is extreme and way more than twice as dangerous.

I've only actually seen two people make the distance, and neither of us wanted to do it again.

okay, i'm not planning to do anything crazy - or attempt 100m. just wanted to max my normal breath-hold swim by training it once or twice a week by myself (though there's always a lifeguard at the pool). right now i can do about 25m on a 'successful' try with my regular technique (deep yoga breaths at surface followed by swim/dive using breaststrokes but no kicks except for some flutter at the very end). i thought i could get it up to 50m if i learned the best way to do it, but even that seems a little overly ambitious now...

Hey - did we cover in this thread if in the DIR-F test you are only given one try? Somebody wants to know.

piikki:
Hey - did we cover in this thread if in the DIR-F test you are only given one try? Somebody wants to know.

The short answer is that this is up to the instructor, but I doubt that someone who was close wouldn't be allow to try again. Keep in mind that subsequent attempts will probably be *harder*, not easier, unless significant time is given for recovery.

The long answer is that GUE certification standards, fitness or otherwise, are not intended to be once-in-a-lifetime achievements. From a practical standpoint, the only reason one would care to pass the standards would be to be "certified" DIRF so that they could proceed to additional GUE training. A student must pass harder standards at each level, so it would behoove a GUE student to get comfortable with them if only for this reason.

Other than that, failing these standards does not preclude you from completing the DIRF course, thus providing a diver with a great education, c-card or not.

If the DIRF *certification* is important, one should be sure s/he works to pass these standards before showing up for class. For all of the logic behind the standards in the first place, if you are comfortable with them, you will get more out of the rest of your in-water time.

Cameron

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom