DIR-F Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If GUE now teaches computer smart vs. computer dumb in the DIR F class it's probably because they feel they don't have time to get into the more advanced stuff. Nonetheless, I'm convinced that the goal is still to do away with the computer.

To be honest, I don't care. I'll be the last guy decrying the computer crutch if that's what it takes. Computers are no good, learn to dive without them. Be it GUE, DIR or not!

I think some stuff is falling between the cracks here. It is impossible to distill hours of instruction and learning into a few posts. I think I'll shut-up now as I can see that I'm doing a terrible job expressing what I learned.

The only thing I wanted to get across was that it was a great course and a valuable learning experience.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
If GUE now teaches computer smart vs. computer dumb in the DIR F class it's probably because they feel they don't have time to get into the more advanced stuff. Nonetheless, I'm convinced that the goal is still to do away with the computer.

To be honest, I don't care. I'll be the last guy decrying the computer crutch if that's what it takes. Computers are no good, learn to dive without them. Be it GUE, DIR or not!

I like your attitude.

I also think you're right about them not having the time. They could just fail people. they could set higher pre-reqs. They could lengthen the class and charge more. I don't feel bad critiisizing them. I opened my own shop because I couldn't teach for others. Now I'm closing it because I can't teach for my own shop. The presures are the same no matter who owns it.

As they grow and gain instructors and shops they will need more students. Those students aren't going to pay to fail. As they push stuff from the DIRF level they will have to get it in the tech 1 level (like actually showing that they have mastered the skills from DIRF). As they play catch up in tech 1 they'll have to push other stuff to tech 2. Then they'll have top push other stuff right out the window. If they don't they'll be FORCED to go back to having only a couple of instructors on each continent and one or two shops.

As a lone instructor I'll be able to teach how I want to who I want even if it's only one or two a year.

bwerb once bubbled...
I think some stuff is falling between the cracks here. It is impossible to distill hours of instruction and learning into a few posts. I think I'll shut-up now as I can see that I'm doing a terrible job expressing what I learned.

The only thing I wanted to get across was that it was a great course and a valuable learning experience.

I don't think things are falling between the cracks. I think we know a good deal about what they told you and showed you. The question is...what are the actual performance requirements to get the card. How good does your trim need to be? How good does your finning technique need to be? Awareness? How many inches can your depth very when your mask comes off? Timmed ascents with stop, how precise must it be? Lift bag deployment? you had guys in doubles right? How was their trim, BC and speed doing shutdowns? Before yo get a card.

The DIRF card is the pre-req for tech 1 right?

I have no doubt these guys can dive and are good instructors. My only point is that they will be subjected to the same presures that everyone else is. They MAY go from sending you home to practice and comming back for the card to giving you the card and telling you to go home and practice. That is how the bar is lowered. That is the process.

When I was in the horse business I knew of a trainer that had world champions just about every year. All the people with the best horses went to him. He had good material. He could just turn away the ones who weren't going to make it.

We have heard over and over how 1, DIRF is for anyone at any level and 2, how awful everyone does. Now we hear everyone got a card but nobody knew exactly what was required to get it.

Don't get to upset it's all just conversation to me. I hope I'm wrong.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You must have missed "CstillRYB"

I don't know if computers are to blame for the rotten brains but I'm pretty sure that whatever they did yesterday they are doing today. LOL

NetDoc once bubbled...
<snip>
As for overlooking the ascent rate/profile... no, I saw that. That should always be a part of your plan. This is not unique to DIR-F by any means. IOW... just because they are "doing it right" does not mean everyone else is doing it wrong. Deeper profiles merit deep stops and longer safety stops. They might even require a decompression obligation! These should NEVER be left to chance. Not planning your dive will almost always succeed in having a diver "shave" his stop time and increase his ascent rate.
<snip>

Nobody ever wrote nor implied that properly using a computer is "unique to DIR-F" whatsoever. I even stated that the example is my take on this issue which was the same before I took the class. I'm sure there are plenty of people that properly use CPUs and have a good basic understanding of deco theory. However, at the same time, I've seen WAY too many examples of divers that are of the opposite variety.

O-ring once bubbled...

IMHO, it was unpassable before... Either the bar came down or the definition of successfully demonstrating a skill isn't what it was. Either way, I don't think it makes the class any worse than it was, just different.

Good point. But I believe that the bar is still where it was. That is, we're all still reaching for the same bar. But passing the class is not the same as grasping the bar. There have been divers with hundreds of dives under their belt that can't perfectly master the skills in four dives, particularly if they haven't learned them before. It's just not realistic to expect perfection, so they don't. My understanding is that DIR-F is the gateway to other GUE classes - they introduce the skills, they drill you, they make sure you're capable. And yes, perfection is the ultimate goal, but not the definition of success in this class (my take).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom