DIR-F Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead once bubbled...

And Mike, if for nothing else, the "stopwatch" functionality of the Suuntos in Gauge mode is a beautiful thing on the way up! :D And the Vyper/Vytec line has HUGE numbers for weary eyes like yours. :wink:

hehe, keep it up bud.

I don't need a stop watch just time in minutes. If seconds count we're all going to get killed doing this.

And...my eyes are not weary! they're fuzzy. But only up close. You know? within 10 or 15 feet.

GearHead once bubbled...

Rather than go into detail, I'll just throw out 2 hypothetical Recreational Diving Scenarios. Please note, this is just my take on computer diving which really hasn't changed from before I took the class:

I'll plan my surface interval and next dive on the boatride back with the computer's "Plan" mode. [/I]

Too bad most computers can't do that though. I know my Suunto Mosquito can't do a "what if" my S.I. was xxx then what would my NDL be for 60'? It'll tell me my NDL for 60' *now* but if I want to know when it will be XX I'll just have to wait until it is.

as an instructor, I ALWAYS carry way too much gas. My SAC is sufficiently low and I prefer to dive with my steel 120s. Life is good.

As for "chewing"... he knew where he erred and we discussed it. “Chewing” is counter productive for most intelligent people.

As for overlooking the ascent rate/profile... no, I saw that. That should always be a part of your plan. This is not unique to DIR-F by any means. IOW... just because they are "doing it right" does not mean everyone else is doing it wrong. Deeper profiles merit deep stops and longer safety stops. They might even require a decompression obligation! These should NEVER be left to chance. Not planning your dive will almost always succeed in having a diver "shave" his stop time and increase his ascent rate.

BTW, what diver claims to have coined the phrase "Plan your dive, and dive your plan!"??? You probably won't like the answer.

So now DIR is teaching the use of computers, I love it.
They finaly come around to doing what everyone else has been doing for some time.

Uncle Pug even responds with a tone of support...what happend to "computers will rote your brain" pug?

There is no doubt that a DIR-F class is a good one, they are building on skills introduced in an average open water class.
boyancy control, buddy awareness, proper ascent rates, dive planning with the use of computers.

soon they will be coming out with tables as well, ya hoo.

it also sounds like everyone passes the class now.

I think that showing a "passable" skill level, a desire to improve, and solid concentration and understanding during lectures and planning will go a long way into ensuring you'll pass.

it seems that GUE is becoming more main stream and starting to adopt some of the proven techniques of other agencies

I can't wait to watch all the back peddling from the DIR crowd when GUE comes out with their open water / begginer course designed to train the masses.

NetDoc once bubbled...
BTW, what diver claims to have coined the phrase "Plan your dive, and dive your plan!"??? You probably won't like the answer.

Yes dive trivia!!!

That would be Hal Watts.

davethomas once bubbled...

it also sounds like everyone passes the class now.

it seems that GUE is becoming more main stream and starting to adopt some of the proven techniques of other agencies

I can't wait to watch all the back peddling from the DIR crowd when GUE comes out with their open water / begginer course designed to train the masses.

And I heard that nobody passes the first time!

Did the bar come down? hehe, I know the'll catch up in tech 1. Sounds familiar to me.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

And I heard that nobody passes the first time!

Did the bar come down? hehe, I know the'll catch up in tech 1. Sounds familiar to me.
IMHO, it was unpassable before... Either the bar came down or the definition of successfully demonstrating a skill isn't what it was. Either way, I don't think it makes the class any worse than it was, just different.

NetDoc once bubbled...
:tease:

I cheated.

BTW, I have a diving text titled "Basic and Advanced Skin and Scuba Diving Manual" by Hal Watts Dated 1970

the book is typed and in a stapled folder.

You wouldn't believe the skills that are called for in this book.

O-ring once bubbled...

IMHO, it was unpassable before... Either the bar came down or the definition of successfully demonstrating a skill isn't what it was. Either way, I don't think it makes the class any worse than it was, just different.

That's how it always starts. People don't like to fail. they won't come back.

I don't doubt that it's a good class but we'll see if they tell divers not to dive or not to cave or tech dive. That cave 1 video (that I just got to see) wasn't so impressive. The one with the link on th board.

GUE is dealing with the same people that the rest of us are. Or at least they will be if they want to keep all these new instructors and the new DIR shops busy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom