DIR-F Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most computers have a planning function where you can plan multi-level dives right on your computer (mine does...and it's old) You can write this plan down...say on a slate, you can memorize it, wet-notes, something...then when you decide you only want to spend 6 minutes at 70ft as opposed to the planned 10, you know you are still within the tables....

I imagine (since I have never seen the wheel) that if you plan a dive with the wheel, you will get very close to the bottom time you will get by planning with a computer....I know the square dive profiles on a computer are pretty close to my NAUI tables (NAUI's tables a very conservative...especially on subsequent dives)

Plan you dive....dive your plan....if you don't plan, you plan to fail

biscuit7 once bubbled...
I just finished my AOW, I still don't know how to use the wheel. I still don't know how to plan multi-level dives on paper. I'm not unique in that respect. The plan I gave in the above example isn't unique. This is a typical Caribbean (and probably elsewhere) kind of dive. Tons of people do that dive, in some form or another, every day in dive destinations around the world.

Most instructors don't teach the weel. I don't think it ever really gained popularity. I think it's good to at least look at one if for no other reason that it illustrates what is going on in a multilevel dive at least in the context of that model. I have one you can look at. Multi-level planning is something that can be addressed by an instructor in any class (hint...hint)
Short of signing up for the PADI Multi-level Diver Specialty, where is a diver to get the information to avoid the "trust me" dives? Does DIR-F cover it? Do other agencies cover it in their advanced certificates?

I think dive planning is taken a little too light in most training. It's almost as if it's assumed that you'll be following a guide. On the other hand some instructors make the planning aspects of a dive a priority in any class. Of course a plan doesn't have to be complicated just appropriate.
There are a whole bunch of people telling me to toss the computer but no one is giving me a way to fill in the knowledge gaps so that plan is feasible!

We've talked about this a lot here. Apparantly GUE isn't goind to address compuerless multilevel diving outside of their tech and cave classes. I'm sure they have their reasons. It isn't hard to come up with a way to do it if you really studdy the tables and/or profiles using decompression software. I can't say that I am familiar with exactly what GUE teaches but I have my own ways. Outside of GUE I'm not sure how an instructor can teach any of these methods because they directly conflict with the instructions given for table use. That doesn't mean that it won't work just that a PADI instructor for instance would have nothng to fall back on to justify their methods.

The following is for discussion purposses only.
Just to satisfy your own curiosity on the subject I can think of a couple of things you can do. 1, look at some of Uncle Pugs threads. He has talked about what he does including profiling. 2, It isn't recommended to use most dive table to plan multi-level dives but it's been done. Look at how the table works and see if you can estimate what your RNT and resultant NDL will be moving from a deeper level for a certain time to a shallower level. You will notice a definate pattern. 3, You will also hear divers refering to what they call their profile depth (as apposed to max depth). If you play with some decompression software or even the tables you'll see that you can plan a multi level dive and a single level dive and get the same (or very close) answer using a depth that turns out to be the average depth. IMPORTANT...by average I don't mean the mean of the depths but a weighted average that takes the time at each depth into account. I can show some math to make this clearer if you want.

Going through these excersizes, if nothing else, will help give you a feel for what your computer will say before it says it and some intuition into what you will calculate on the table before you calculate it. Kind of like using estimation when doing math to know if the answer the calculator gives you makes sense. Useful I think even if you stick with the computer.

You might say these methods don't seem very precise. You are right but again if you play with some decompression software you'll see that by running the same dive but setting user setable parameters differently you can get dratically different answers. Which is the right one? So where does the precission come in? In the end you decide. As many point out most tables and computers don't reflect the latest thinking in decompression either. Others point out that what we have works. Not always. Also you are the only one who has a feel for what you shouldn't do (conservatism).

All that said, there are other things to consider like being in control of and aware of what you actually did on the dive. You can't estimate anything if you don't know where you were and for how long. Other things like good ascent procedures, gas management and how you conuct yourself before and after dives.

I don't think there are any secrets but I also don't think there are any short cuts.

I had an interesting conversation once with a GUE trained diver. We were discussing profiling and he used the example of the dive he had just done. He stated his max depth, the overall shape of the dive and what he used as a profile depth. I commented that it didn't seem very precise and that I didn't think using an average depth was valid based on the math of the model. His response was that I could use a deeper profile depth if it made me feel better.

I think and some one please correct me if I'm wrong but one of the resons these guys won't give up the secret is because there isn't one and it's so simple. Yet, if all the pieces arent there a person could really mess up by just jumping in the water without using tables or a computer.

Again all this has been just conversation. I'm not qualified to teach anything other than the accurate use of tables, computers and decompression software as outlined by the agencies I teach through and this isn't it.

I would certainly like to hear comments on my take on all this from the people who were tought to dive this way.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I think and some one please correct me if I'm wrong but one of the resons these guys won't give up the secret is because there isn't one and it's so simple. Yet, if all the pieces arent there a person could really mess up by just jumping in the water without using tables or a computer.
It isn't mysterious nor difficult... but it does involve pieces of a puzzle that many divers are not trained to pay attention to.

For instance.... paying attention to time remaining (the big NDL numbers in the middle of the computer readout) is not the way to do it.

What I have shared here in the past has been to:
1) pique folks interest in computerless diving.
2) encourage them to pay regular attention to time/depth.
3) develop an awareness of how their dive is shaping up in real time.
4) use software to gain an understanding of how intert gas loads and unloads during the dive (GAP is free.)
5) pay attention to buoyancy control and slow ascents.
6) add plenty of shallow time at the end of a dive if possible.
7) use the World's Largest Waterbed.

I have in a few threads shared details... but details without the overall picture and skill sets won't get you there.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You will also hear divers refering to what they call their profile depth (as apposed to max depth). If you play with some decompression software or even the tables you'll see that you can plan a multi level dive and a single level dive and get the same (or very close) answer using a depth that turns out to be the average depth. IMPORTANT...by average I don't mean the mean of the depths but a weighted average that takes the time at each depth into account. I can show some math to make this clearer if you want.

Just for my own curiosity....are you talking about the math looking somthing like this....

1 minute descent to 80ft.
80 feet - 6 minutes
1 minute ascent to 50 ft.
50 feet - 20 minutes
1 minute ascent to 25ft
25 feet - 10 minutes
1 minute ascent to surface.

Total time 40 minutes

avg depth = {(1*40)+(6*80)+(1*65)+(20*50)+(1*37.5)+(10*25)+(1*12.5)} / total time

Thus average depth is 41.125 ft.

Yes but using some algebra you can simplify it to make it more usable.

This will find the time or sample weighted average between two depths...

first depth - (change in depth * time at the second depth/total time)

A graphical representation shows that if you spend say 1/3 the total time at the second depth the average moves 1/3 of the way from the first depth to the second depth.

Note that while the numbers are interesting they might not have any bearing on decompression

Yeah, I understand that mike....number are cool...numbers are interesting....numbers rock....unless they aren't the numbers you're looking for.....o.k...I live for and work with number all day

I was really shooting for an overall plan out of water before you even get wet without the use of a computer or anything like that. Let's say that was my dive plan....hmmm....now I can dive with simply a BT and depth gauge....if something changes, I'll know what it is, and where I was a little shorter, then...I can plan my next dive...so on and so forth.

But does avg depth & bottom time work for repetitive dives? IOW, say my averaged depth is 43 feet for 30 minutes, but I did a bounce to 95 at the beginning of the dive.

Would I then just run 43 feet for 30 minutes through the tables to get max bottom time for the next dive?

jonnythan once bubbled...
But does avg depth & bottom time work for repetitive dives? IOW, say my averaged depth is 43 feet for 30 minutes, but I did a bounce to 95 at the beginning of the dive.

Would I then just run 43 feet for 30 minutes through the tables to get max bottom time for the next dive?

I won't say that it would work for any dive at all. But I won't try to say that the tables will work for certain either.

The best way to answer your question is to run the profile both ways through a decompression program or the tables and compare the results. I've done this on lots of profiles but not all. Keep in mind that when using a shortcut method to approximate a system or in this case a fairly complex mathamatical model you can be fooled into thinking it works all the time by the fact that it works some of the time.

Also...

Keep in mind that the profile itself (bounces, reverse profile, speed of ascents ect) effect the outcome and even excepted models may not account for all the effects. That's why there are a list of rules and cautions printed right on the tables or in the disclaimer for softwares. The point is that a bad profile might get you bent no matter what the tables, your computer or any other method predicts.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'm not suggesting anyone abandon accepted methods in favor of this stuff for diving. Nobody has ever tought me any of this. It's just stuff I came up with by playing with software and numbers and discussions with others who may have made it all up just for fun.

For those who want to know what GUE does, I have no reason to believe that this in any way resembles what they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom