DIR-F Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is to get a second opinion of the class by taking it this weekend in KY myself....

I'll let you know what I think...I'm not a big believer in conforming just cause someone said something....I do things because they make sense, and if I don't see a good reason for doing something another way, I'll let you know I have a question.

I have a very good dive buddy who tells me I'm an idiot for spending 325 bucks for a class I don't know what I'm going to be getting out of.....I have another diving friend who is telling me I won't regret my decision.

Who knows...maybe GUE/DIR is or isn't for me. One thing is for sure....I am going to have fun...I mean I'll be making at least 4 dives with some people I know....how can diving be anything other than fun if you're diving with people you know and trust?

This past weekend with the ow class I was with, I had no idea who the students were, but I knew the instructor. the class was a blast and we had a good time. Yeah, it was check-outs, and there were a few things that went wrong, but for the most part, the diving was fun. IT's all about your attitude baby....and believe me, I've got one.

Big-t-2538,

That sounds like a good plan. We had planned on sponsoring three DIRFs this year and I was going to participate in at least one. I don't need someone to get me horizontal or teach me to hover ...but...an educated eye can see rough spots you don't see yourself. That's why most serious athletes and musicians (or whatever) are always in training. It's never perfect and it never will be if you think it is. Often the trainer isn't any where near as good as the one their training except thay have that educated eye and can present a plan for improvement. As to it being a wast of money I think that's more up to you than them.

bwerb once bubbled...
Since CRYB...when/how should OW/rec students be introduced to "on the fly" planning?
...it seems GUE has made the decision to remove that from the DIRf and I am not second guessing them on it.

The DIRf is primarily about buddy skills, situational awareness, buoyancy control and even gas management... and in my opinion is a great class for any diver.

The computerless diving can (and will be) added later in the Tech class.

That said, it isn't rocket science and doesn't take a math genius to effect.... however the skill sets mentioned above are the focus as they should be.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The computerless diving can (and will be) added later in the Tech class.

I don't have a problem at all with DIRf or what it teaches, it was outstanding and is outstanding as it stands..."on-the-fly" in or not.

My question is more philosophical...If CRYB, but you are not a Tech diver, how should recreational divers be planning their dives? Tables? Decoplanner? the Wheel? a combination of all of them...or ongoing mentorship with someone who can show them "another way"?

I just don't quite get what the "best practice" would be for introducing the "rec" community to an alternative to the computer/tables.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
From discussions with Sonya and other people at the source of this, I am more convinced than ever that DIR means not using a computer.
LOL

DIR in your world means no computers.
DIR in the GUE world now means computers. You go on waving the flag all by yourself, when you get tired, just remember to turn the lights out when you leave.

I do respect that you are not just blindly following a system of diving and that you are sticking to your guns, you don't think they work and you won't ever us a computer.

bwerb once bubbled...
If CRYB, but you are not a Tech diver, how should recreational divers be planning their dives?
perhaps GUE's move toward computer smart diving is the answer.

Since there is no longer an agency that teaches computer-less multilevel on-the-fly diving to OW students that option at least is off the table.

Do you think any agancy will ever teach it to recreational divers. It could be hard to justify in court. It definately isn't following the direction at the bottom of the dive tables.

I think at the tech level you might pull it off since so much of how a diver treats decompression is up to them. Even using software you can make it say almost anything you want anyway by changing a couple of parameters.

TekDiveGirl once bubbled...
From GUE:

Heh-from George himself....

There is no such thing as "no decompression diving", with or without capital
letters, and there is no use for a dive computer of any kind, and there is
not any kind of dive computer that actually works.

And from another or so...
my fave:

Paul, let me guess: is this some nonsense you read on Scubaboard? You need to quit hanging out in the diving equivalent of a crack house. Rule #2 dude. GUE needs to start slapping gag orders on all their DIR Fundamentals students to prevent this constant game of "telephone".

As for a transition off computers, is that like telling a junky to taper off with methadone instead of quitting cold turkey?

Heh--you guys are funny.

Now there you go ruining a nice conversation by bringing George into it. I understand he doesn't use software or tables either. Since most others on the WKPP seem to use software as a starting poin it doesn't seem like he is telling any one how he has freed himself from all decompression tools. I've read everything I could find and he explains everything very nicely until you get to the shallow stops where he says it should be long enough. I think he also says about equal to your bottom time. If you look at the examples he gives people I don't think you can use what he writes to recreate the schedules he provides as examples.

Aside from that... what is a game of telephone?

What is some nonsense that Paul read on scubaboard?

and last but not least...do you have anything to say or does George do all your talking? Do you even move your lips when he talks?

DIR = no computer. Take it to the bank.

The fact that in one class they didn't get to cover something doesn't mean all that much. Remember, DIR-F is about teaching many things, and not using the computer isn't the most important one by a long shot.

I'm sure some DIR - F classes will cover it... remember, the classes are taylored to the level of the students. If people show up who have all been diving DIR for a long time and who have taken deco classes from other agencies, it will be a different class than if some OW students show up.

One thing is for sure, a DIR-F class will challenge you, and show you what you need to work at.

For the full story, you need to "complete" the first cycle by taking Tech 1, Cave 1, or Rec Triox.

It's pretty funny how the anti - DIR crowd immediately jumps up and down at the slightest crack in the armor and tries to get a wedge in. Hasn't worked so far. The system is rock solid, works, and the instruction is second to none. Don't believe me? Then how come we have 4 guys who just took the class who feel this way? It NEVER fails.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
DIR = no computer. Take it to the bank.

The fact that in one class they didn't get to cover something doesn't mean all that much. Remember, DIR-F is about teaching many things, and not using the computer isn't the most important one by a long shot.

No arguement with that but the card issue has the potential of being significant I think
I'm sure some DIR - F classes will cover it... remember, the classes are taylored to the level of the students. If people show up who have all been diving DIR for a long time and who have taken deco classes from other agencies, it will be a different class than if some OW students show up.

One thing is for sure, a DIR-F class will challenge you, and show you what you need to work at.

I have often wonder what happens if they all show up together. Seems to me that presenting a challange one diver might might kill the less skilled diver with him.
For the full story, you need to "complete" the first cycle by taking Tech 1, Cave 1, or Rec Triox.

It's pretty funny how the anti - DIR crowd immediately jumps up and down at the slightest crack in the armor and tries to get a wedge in. Hasn't worked so far. The system is rock solid, works, and the instruction is second to none. Don't believe me? Then how come we have 4 guys who just took the class who feel this way? It NEVER fails.

ok I believe you it's a good class. But lets face it it just wouldn't take that much to impress most recreational divers would it. Speaking for myself...I have heard for so long from so many how nobody ever passes the first time (even though it wasn't pass fail) but they all get cards now. It might not mean anyhing but there is plenty there to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom