DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh do stick around ... this is turning out better than most of these DIR conversations usually do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL. I gotta admit, this is all pretty entertaining. :D Kinda fun to see how one little question caused such a firestorm, even though that was not my intention.

mudchick:
LOL. I gotta admit, this is all pretty entertaining. :D Kinda fun to see how one little question caused such a firestorm, even though that was not my intention.
Just don't ask if a Mask on your Forehead means you're panicking.

mudchick, it's only your sixth thread, and it's run to fourteen pages already . . . I thought I was the only person with that kind of karma :)

JeffG:
Just don't ask if a Mask on your Forehead means you're panicking.

is a 9 cu ft pony bottle enough gas to get to the surface?

and since it is essential safety equipment, what is the best snorkel to buy?

Rant on

I have been following this thread on and off for several days and for over 265 posts.

Pardon me but I have really been wasting my time. Really guys its such a thread that we have seen over and over again.

The DIR folks (of which I am one) both reasonable and unreasonable are provoked and also provoke. The anti DIR crowd provokes and is provoked. The vast majority of divers who are neither don’t really care… they just go diving.

Long hose on a reef and in an overhead I think such gearing in both environments make sense… some think they don’t. So what… So what… So what.

Just dive and chose your buddies (team) well… or don’t, as you want.

DIR folks are comfortable with a unified approach to diving. The Anti crowd… rugged individualists all want to do their own thing in their own way… great go to it.

No one is convinced… it’s like Liberals and Conservatives back and forth no one really is listening just talking. After a while it’s not entertaining or illuminating any longer… just irritating. The positions are so well staked out.

I propose a moratorium on threads such as this… or how about an Anti DIR forum off limits to all but those who want to let off steam at the insults they have received at the hands of the dreaded black suited kool aid swilling followers of JJ and GI3.

Rant off

Should I mount a pony or sling it?

I think you're a bit toucy, Tollie. We're speading the love...

eric_in_az:
I never meant to suggest that all DIR divers actually tell other divers to their faces that they're doing it wrong. I'm sure many are very tolerant and agreeable people. I was only saying that the term "doing it right" could be interpreted to suggest that, which could lead to misunderstandings. This thread began with a question regarding why it's sometimes a controversial issue, and I was merely trying to address the question.

Hi Eric,
Yes, the term can cause controversy, has before and will continue to. But realize that noone on here had any part in the name. DIR divers believe in the system, most wouldn't care what name the system is known by.
Hey, since you are in AZ, are you interested in joining us for a DIR-F class in NM in July? It would be a win-win situation for you. If you like it you will learn a ton of useful info, get a chance to find out the hows and whys from an expert instead of the internet, and meet some nice people. If you don't like it then you get a chance to find out for yourself, you will have plenty of chance to challange the instructor on everything (this kind of debate on ideas is highly encouraged in the class), you can post back on here what you thought about it, and you will still learn a ton.
Oh, and we are the group of tolerant and agreeable people you were talking about, I promise.
It would make me happy if just one person on here would come to a class, see what it is about, then post a judgement...

dherbman:
There's a law against mounting ponies in this state.
She would be using a strap on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom