DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
See, that comment is insulting. So if it's not your way it's the wrong way. I get it. You're hopeless.

No, I'm shallow and you don't get it.

What do you find insulting about my statement?

eric_in_az:
I think you missed my point. I didn't say I don't understand or that I have any gripe with DIR. I was only saying that people who aren't initiated in the DIR philosophy could get the (usually mistaken) impression that the name implies a feeling of superiority. I was only trying to explain why there are misunderstandings between the two schools of thought, and you seem to take it as some sort of attack, which was never implied in any way.

Eric, Somewhere I read that ScubaBoard has 60,000 members. Notice that threads like this one or in the bp/w vs the world threads the defenders/promoters of the specialized gear or specialized diving (an example is DIR) are always the same people. I think it's fun to stir the pot from time to time but it would probably be more informative to be discussing what the other 59,900 members are discussing.

dherbman:
No, I'm shallow and you don't get it.

What do you find insulting about my statement?

deleted.

dherbman:
I'd say a lot of them are doing it lucky.

There are some days where luck is better to have than skill. eyebrow

eric_in_az:
I think you missed my point. I didn't say I don't understand or that I have any gripe with DIR. I was only saying that people who aren't initiated in the DIR philosophy could get the (usually mistaken) impression that the name implies a feeling of superiority. I was only trying to explain why there are misunderstandings between the two schools of thought, and you seem to take it as some sort of attack, which was never implied in any way.

Let's not forget that this is the new divers' forum and this thread began with a question from a new member who wanted to know why the issue is controversial. I was only giving my two cents worth on why this might be, not criticizing or espousing either side.

no i don't think its an attack.

i just don't think its my problem, at all.

you're right that people misinterpret it and seem to think that everyone who claims to be DIR is implicitly judgemental.

still, not my problem.

waxing philosophical i think its a larger problem in our society where we can't be critical of anyone and all perceived conflict needs to be smoothed over. i'd say it doesn't. give society a backbone transplant and stop agonizing over the "DIR" moniker.

mudchick:
There are some days where luck is better to have than skill. eyebrow

Figure a way to accurately predict which days those are and you'll have something there. :wink: Till then, I'll work on skill.

I think it's fun to stir the pot from time to time but it would probably be more informative to be discussing what the other 59,900 members are discussing.

So, go read some other threads! We're having fun on this one.

You know, it's funny . . . my other passion is dressage riding, and there are two very vocal and opposing camps in that discipline, too, and they constantly argue and each accuses the other of things ranging from stupidity to cruelty. On the dressage BB where I used to spend most of my on line time, about every three or four months, somebody would post something that would start the whole thing up again . . . and the same people always posted, and always said roughly the same things, and eventually somebody would complain that they had heard it all before. Which always made me wonder why they opened those threads . . . Some of us like repeating ourselves. That way we don't have to think of anything new to say!

Don Janni:

Go ahead, say it. :laughing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom