DIR and tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDane

Reaction score
Hi -
I have just spent some time reading stuff here - suffering from general disgust and lack of trust in anything revieved by Rodale (Gimme some money and I'll call it good too...) - I find that opinions of fellow divers are far better...

I have noticed references to DIR - a common practice in my neighborhood and I have also seen the Dive Rite Transpac II referenced as a Technical BC - Am I very far out to accept that the DIR spec of a backplate with one continuos strap to be truly "Tech" and anything else - including the transpac to be more or less rec? I personally dive a transpac and could not be happier, although I'm sorry that I didn't find DIR sooner and got the Back plate instead - it is cheaper after all...

Any opinions on DIR here?

Thanks,
Terkel

Terkel,

I dive DIR, but I hate to call it that. In my opinion is a marketing tool and in fact if you break it down, here is what you have:

1. Good equipment that works together, (i.e. a system)
2. Being is good shape.
3. Standardization

I started to dive Hogarthian (pre-DIR) when I took my cave class. I dive it both for wrecks and caves. I like it because of the ease of movement and zero clutter.

Eric

Hey Eric,

I concur, what attracts me to it is the lack of clutter and constant work to improve the streamlining. As far as the sales pitch goes, I have found diving to be a sport with an awful lot of converted used car sales people, my approach has been to find what I think makes more sense and the Hogarthian way makes a lot of sense when one thinks about it.

Did you do any of the GUE certifications?

Cheers,
Terkel

At least you have seen that early on. I have not done any GUE training yet. I plan to do a Tech 1 class within the next year.

Eric

They are offering a Recreational DIR class up here, sort of an intro and prep for Tech 1 - based on the fact that Tech 1 seems to require quite a bit of experience in a lot of skills...

Good to know I'm not alone - I plan to do the Rec class at some point and just go diving a lot for a while - get all that experience down...

What lights are you using? I'm still battling with the EE price tag - $600 for a canister with HID - I was looking at the Wreck light from DR, but was told that it is not the hottest thing out there - what about AUL?

Cheers,
Terkel

I currently use the EE pro-14 w/ HID-18 head. My adivce, go with an EE light. They are the best out there right now. If going HID, look at the Pr0-4 or Pro-6 with 10 watt head. The $$ is about the same compared to a 14AH / 50 Watt light.

Eric

Hi guys,

I dive DIR as well, it is a system that seems to be the frontier of safe diving. Dir eminates from accident analysis. Finding out what doesn't work and making adjustments to find a better way. George and JJ and a lot of the staff of WKPP have done a lot of pioneering work. I am becoming an instructor, I think DIR is the way to go, but thats just my opinion

On the lighter side.
I have an EE pro14 hid, better known as "Gods Light". I think it is well worth the money. My buddy has the pro 14 great light to.

Z

wetdane,

I started out with a transpac and thought that it was great. As I became more experienced and knowledgeable I migrated to a backplate and wings with DIR configuration. I have made a couple of changes to the setup so in the strictest sense I am not DIR. I have a small ball on the wing pull dump. I have found that with heavy gloves (wet or dry) that it saves considerable time and effort to pull the dump when needed. In my case this was trading a small potential hazard for less of one. The need to dump gas without though or effort is more important than the increase in entanglement potential from having the ball. I also have two D-rings on the left chest and left waist. This is also because of the heavy gloves. It is considerably easier to deal with stages with this setup and gloves. I can also direct you to pictures of JJ himself with 2 D-rings on his left chest if anyone gets silly about this mod.

So to answer your question I think that the BP/wing is better than the transpac.

I also consider the Halcyon/DIR theme an excellent marketing tool. In fact it is a good example on what to do to be successful in the scuba market and could be used in other areas as well.

The Bill Main (Hogarth himself) concept of minimization and streamlining is the tool to use when considering any dive gear.

brad

Wetdane,

I am currently in the evoloution process of going from rec. to DIR, although DIR can and IMHO should be used in recreational diving. But like the rest above, it has taken some time and lots of studying before this process began.

You can read the GUE Website and find all the information you want. Also when you read it the light will go on in your head and you will say "Now that makes sense". It is not only about gear selection and configuration. It is also a philosophy. Like Zman said, George & JJ as well as the original, Bill Main have done a lot of pioneering to make this concept what it is today.

But be warned, there are "naysayers" out there, for what reason I don't know. You read the info and make your own decision. But I am sure that after reading it and you have studied the material, you will start the evoloution process yourself.

ID

I have no problems with DIR - think it's a great way to go. There are those who feel it is the *only* way to go, and with these folks I disagree, especially for recreational diving. DIR purists would junk much of what we use for comfort and convenience in the recreational world - where diving's supposed to be fun. But even for tech I find the Transpac II and a modified Hogarthian rig suits me better than a strictly DIR one. I'm sure George & Co would call me a "stroke" - oh, well, I've been called worse.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom