DIR and GUE in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any DIR/GUE folks in the UK on this site?

If so, any comments on the local UK GUE instructors?
Brian Allen
Clare Gledhill
John Kendall
Rich Walker

I realize these guys go through a rigorous instructor cert process...just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with them.

Thanks.

Chris

Although, since several of those instructors are active members of that board, he might get more candid information here.

Not exactly bang on topic, but I was chatting with a friend the other day who attended a recent dive show in London, and Jarrod Jablonski was one of the speakers. My friend said three things about Jarrod's presentation that interested me: (1) that Jarrod got a fairly hostile reception from the British divers, (2) that it was one of the most impressive public speaking performances he had seen (this from a Cambridge educated lawyer), and (3) that DIR had picked up something of a bad rep because of the aggressive way it had been presented by some people in the early days, and Jarrod said with hindsight he really regretted that (he didn't mention Andrew Georgitsis by name, but apparently the comment was fairly pointed).

I don't spend much time on DirX, but it appears to be the EU's DIR central, whereas SB, TDS, etc. may appear to have a more state-side slant. You'll certainly find a higher percentage of UK info on DirX.

Another good place to seek information that may be even more regional is Yorkshire Divers, but I'm less sure of its relevance.

To sort of answer my own question...

I just joined that site, and my "welcome" e-mail came from Clare Gledhill, who is one of the moderators of the site and a GUE instructor based in the UK.

Also, most of the local diving and others posts are UK-related....looks like a good resource

Although, since several of those instructors are active members of that board, he might get more candid information here.

If he wants candid information he should PM former students of those instructors. DIRx is a good place to find those. I haven't dove or met any of them.

Asking for frank feedback in an open forum is probably not going to be very fruitful.

that DIR had picked up something of a bad rep because of the aggressive way it had been presented by some people in the early days, and Jarrod said with hindsight he really regretted that (he didn't mention Andrew Georgitsis by name, but apparently the comment was fairly pointed).

I don't believe AG was the person to whom he was referring . . . it was far more likely to be George Irvine. Andrew's never had that much of a public persona, especially on the internet.

Richard, good point; the best way to get candid information is to talk privately.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom