DIN thread repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim_pacnwdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know the best way to cleanup threads on DIN fittings?

I have a valve and a DS4 1st stage that are hard threading together. another 1st stage threads on ok and the DS4 threads onto other valves fine.....

I used to have thread "chasers" for normal SAE threads and would like something like that to hopefully cleanup the threads.

Is this a common problem with a common solution?

I think DIN threads are standard metric non-taper pipe threads. You just need to find out the diameter and thread pitch and order the appropriate tap or die from someone like Mcmaster-carr. Any machinists or tool and die makers out there that can confirm this?

If the threads are dirty/corroded a good soak overnight in vinegar, or better yet 15 min in an ultrasonic bath will do wonders. If, on the other hand, they are damaged, I'd be thinking about replacement.

stevead:
If the threads are dirty/corroded a good soak overnight in vinegar, or better yet 15 min in an ultrasonic bath will do wonders. If, on the other hand, they are damaged, I'd be thinking about replacement.

Yeah, I think I may have to agree with the replacement route. The cost of a tap/die set probably could not be justified by having to repair one thread or set of threads. OTOH, a well equipped repair shop in a tech diving store may already have the proper tap/die and be able to chase the threads for a small fee that would probably be significantly less than replacement.

Back
Top Bottom