DIN post dive soak sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at my new (to me) DIN regs, it seems that the simple push on cap wont seal worth a crap during a soak since the o-ring is at the end of the DIN bolt which isn't compressed. There's leak paths between the wheel and bolt as well as along the threads. Other than soaking my regs pressurized, is there a solid cap that actually seals against the oring like I'd think you would want. the regular DIN cap seems more of just something to prevent splash intrusion - water resistant as opposed to water proof which is what you'd get with an actual seal. Am I missing something?

Absolutely! several suppliers (Edge/HOG is one) sell a delrin cap that screw on and will seal against the o-ring.

The HOG regs I purchased new came with these already on them. (FYI)

yeah guess I should have done an ebay search - found the solid cap which seems like the ticket. Delrin seems preferable over the aluminum even if it is anodized - don't like that dissimilar metals thing especially with aluminum and saltwater. That linked DGX one is cheaper than the fleabay offerings - too bad the shipping cost crushes the deal.

Last edited:
Yea, delrin is best for this. I have a couple that are molded plastic and work ok, but the delrin ones are much better.

yeah guess I should have done an ebay search - found the solid cap which seems like the ticket. Delrin seems preferable over the aluminum even if it is anodized - don't like that dissimilar metals thing especially with aluminum and saltwater. That linked DGX one is cheaper than the fleabay offerings - too bad the shipping cost crushes the deal.

You can't find enough things to buy from DGX to get the free shipping??!?!

Install your DIN protective cap and preform a vacuum test. Those Scubapro caps do not provide a reliable seal with DIN.

Then you run into the "soak or not soak with din cap" question.

The greater consensus seems to be soak with a charged tank. I usually will dunk and agitate the first stage, pull that out, then did the same with the first stages.

Then you run into the "soak or not soak with din cap" question.

The greater consensus seems to be soak with a charged tank. I usually will dunk and agitate the first stage, pull that out, then did the same with the first stages.

If you have a good inlet protector, the issue is moot. I rarely bother connecting my rweg to a tank for aqn 8 to 12 hour soak. Never had any problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom