DIN post dive soak sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just be careful transporting din valves without an insert in. I have heard of valves getting knocked out of round if hit with nothing in them. The din inserts from dive gear express have an oring at the top to keep splashes out.

Just be careful transporting din valves without an insert in. I have heard of valves getting knocked out of round if hit with nothing in them. The din inserts from dive gear express have an oring at the top to keep splashes out.

don't believe this one does but something to think about

...soaking regs in an aquarium, now that's a thought!

don't believe this one does but something to think about

it's a very real thing and is a huge part of why I don't get hell bent like a lot of other people about din regulators in rental fleets. Yes for personal tanks, DIN is much better, especially in technical diving, but from a rental fleet standpoint, they are terrible. Lots of thread maintenance vs yoke which has the thread maintenance on the regulator. are basically solid metal, so can take a huge amount of a beating before they get severely damaged, vs DIN which can go out of round incredibly easily if it's knocked the wrong way *seen it happen*. Much easier to fill in bulk at fill stations.
Unless it's a technical specific fleet of tanks, rental fleets should arguably be yoke. No convertible valves either as those are horrid on rental fleets in warm/salt conditions. The inserts remove the disadvantages above, but they add in the one of the insert getting fused to the valve if it isn't regularly removed and cleaned, which is a very real problem with a lot of fleet tanks.

@scubafanatic probably wouldn't go quite that far :p rubbermaid bin with an aquarium pump suctioned to the side, or bathtub with the same is a bit better in my book.

I took a peek at the male plug they sent and yes, it does have an o-ring. Sadly the tether is through holed so doesn't seal completely :eek:

I took a peek at the male plug they sent and yes, it does have an o-ring. Sadly the tether is through holed so doesn't seal completely :eek:

I'm not sure why you are concerned that a DIN plug would seal (that's what the tank valve is for) but trimix users who need to make sure their expensive gas doesn't leak past the valve in transport use this one:
DGX HP Sealing DIN Plug w/Viton O-Ring

The plastic ones are usually used for keeping crap out of the threads and helping (maybe) to keep the valve from getting knocked out of round.

Back
Top Bottom