DIN Plugs in O2 Cylinders. Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you really understand the "why" behind a lot of this stuff. Why do you think that Europe doesn't see a need for burst disks...

All the issues I can recall are due to the old alloy or dropping on the valve, usually both. A bump in the road (lol) isn't going to explode your scuba tank.

All the issues I can recall are due to the old alloy or dropping on the valve, usually both. A bump in the road (lol) isn't going to explode your scuba tank.

nope, you're right. It probably does take more than a road bump, bad example. I wouldn't exactly call some of the trails to dive sites I visit a 'road' :wink: Tanks bouncing around in the back of my truck is not exactly smart on my part.

2) Where have I *ever* suggested one should overfill any cylinder, O2 or otherwise? My comments about tank burst pressures were in response to your claims that cylinders would fail before burst disks. There is zero evidence to support those claims.

Tobin

My last response to manufacturer claims(and this thread) is 'your mileage mary vary'

I remember an accident not very long ago where an aluminum cylinder ended up lodged in the ceiling and split down the side after a condo 'explosion'

My last response to manufacturer claims(and this thread) is 'your mileage mary vary'

I remember an accident not very long ago where an aluminum cylinder ended up lodged in the ceiling and split down the side after a condo 'explosion'

And what if anything does that have to do with any manufacturers claims about working pressure, minimum test pressures and ultimate burst pressures?

Tobin

I am very concerned that we may be taking too much risk using Scuba cylinders for oxygen. Industrial cylinders have a threaded steel cap that protects the valve completely preventing any accidental turning during transport. The O2 bottle in my DAN kit has a removable hand wheel that makes accidentally turning on the valve very difficult. You would need pliers. So it seams we are kind of out there by putting O2 into scuba tanks with huge easy to roll valves with 800 to 1000 psi more than everyone else. Add to that potentially tossing gear bags on top of them which can roll anywhere with the right cornering speed. Seams like an accident would be inevitable and that may very well be what happened.

My deco bottles do sit in racks the back of my truck and not in the cab with me but I still think I need use some type of fail safe to prevent the valve from rolling.

I was using DIN plugs but now I am not sure that is the answer. Thanks guys.

I really don't like the idea of putting the regulator in place. On any given day, any 2nd stage can start free flowing. Sometimes with such a small amount that you wouldn't even notice. Granted this requires three "mistakes", accidentally turning the valve and having a free flowing 2nd stage regulator, and of course having the cylinder in a confined space inside the cab.

Personally, I will be looking for some type of fail safe on my O2 scuba valves that prevents accidental turning.

Now do I need to drill a hole through my DIN plug too? Can someone run some experiments on that (with air of course) :wink:

I think folks need to relax and not act as if this extremely rare accident is anything more than a single tragic event.

Don't store any gas where it can accumulate to dangerous levels, keep your gear in serviceable condition and carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom