Difference in Seasickness Meds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachlawyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have taken Triptone my last two boat trips out (which were both in rough seas), and I did fine. A little dry mouth, but I probably need to hydrate more anyway..My question is what is the difference in Meclazine and Bonine and Triptone, if any? If Triptone worked, would Meclazine probably also do the trick?

Meclizine (proposed INN is meclozine) is an antihistamine considered to be an antiemetic. It is sold over the counter under the brand names of Bonine, Antivert and Postafen and is most commonly used to inhibit nausea and vomiting. An alternative to dimenhydrinate (Dramamine), meclizine is considered to be equally effective, but with reduced side effects.

Meclizine can be purchased at a much less expensive price than Bonine - you just don't get the orange flavor. I got a 100 tablet bottle of Meclizine for about what I would have paid for 24 Bonine Tabs. - Chris

Dramamine II (non-drowsy Dramamine) is Meclizine as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

And to complete this--the active ingredient in Triptone is dimenhydrinate, the same as in dramamine. Remember, for most people, this drug makes you drowsy. Meclizine does not and is widely used by divers for that reason.

Thanks to all who responded! You answered exactly what I was wanting to know! :D

Triptone didn't work for me. Made me sleepy though. So yeah... I felt like crap. Gonna try out the Meclazine

I have been boating most of my life and have friends who have serious problems with sea sickness. This is the advice I give them.
1- watch what you eat the night before. Clam pizza is not the suggested fare. Try something that will not upset your stomach, something not acidic or spicy, not greasy and easy to digest. Moderate to low protein as protein is difficult to digest.
2- eat a breakfast but make sure it is not greasy, spicy, acidic and not too much protein. Just like dinner, except favor cereal and the like.
3- eat pretzels on the boat. I cannot emphasize the value of this enough. Pretzels are somewhat base (meaning they will neutralize acids) and with the bread content and salt they do a great job soaking up liquids in your stomach (which you do not want sloshing around while at sea).

Using these suggestions my friends have mostly conquered they problems and resort to meds only on the worst of days.

I do meclizine, and also nibble on real ginger snaps. I will add pretzels to my dry bag goodies for sure! Seems they would be a little more favorable to packing snug than saltines would be.

I use prescription Meclizine 25 mg., and it does much better than anything else I've ever taken. Seems to work fast and then not stay in my system as long, which prevents that drowsy, hung-over feeling. Last time I took one tablet on a bumpy day on the second day of a liveaboard and didn't need to take any more the rest of the week once I got my sea legs.

Back
Top Bottom