Did you move for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a bit of a paradigm shift a few years ago, and went from being primarily skiers (>100 ski days per year, living slopeside year-round) to being divers first. Now we do 200+ dives a year instead, and head back east to ski as desired, generally for about a month in the spring.

I can't say that our move from Killington, VT to San Diego was FOR diving, but when it came time to move, we didn't seriously consider anywhere farther than 5 minutes from the ocean...

We're planning to more come retirement simply to be in a diving hotspot. Granted it still many years off, but were already looking into options.

I did not move down here for the diving but would have a very hard time moving away because
of the diving !

How close are you to the Bonne Terre Mine? Most of my "good" dive sites are 2+ hours. Local lakes are dark, cold, and muck bottoms. I dove the mine with my daughter and would go back again, and again, if I lived closer. Good vis, fun exploration, and way different from almost anything else. Can't say that a warm, salt environment wouldn't be my ideal, but since I don't plan to move for diving...:-(
Good luck!
It's always better, down where it's wetter, even if it is a drive!

I am thinking about moving since my kid is grown I live in western pa now the nearest place to dive is about 4 hours away with cold murky water would love to do more warm diving

As a deep freeze sets in for winter...I think about moving all of the time. When I was younger and lived in Alaska, winter never bothered me much...Now that I just completed my mid-life crisis Florida or Kona seem to be tops on my dreamlist. :daydreaming:

I moved from Kansas City to Grand Cayman..... wouldn't change it for the world! Though I do get homesick from time to time

Can you find me a job there? Seriously, I'd move to GC. We stayed at Sunset House for one wonderful week a couple of years ago and I've been trying to get back since then. :)

I have never "moved" for Scuba, but when I was offered the chance to move to Hong Kong for two years, the chance to sample more Asian diving and being closer for a return trip to Truk Lagoon were both influential.

Reactions: RJP
I have never "moved" for Scuba, but when I was offered the chance to move to Hong Kong for two years, the chance to sample more Asian diving and being closer for a return trip to Truk Lagoon were both influential.
That was the theory underpinning my move to HK as well. I think I had about two weeks of continuous vacation in four years, plus an occasional 3- or 4-day weekend. On the plus side, HK has a pretty generous public holiday schedule.

Wife and I are both tied to jobs in Philadelphia for the time being, good and easy striking distance to much of the Caribbean. We bought a townhouse in Hypoluxo, FL a year ago and am within 3 mi of Boynton Beach, 30 miles of Jupiter, and 30 miles to Ft Lauderdale. Plan is to spend more time in FL and less in PA, it's working so far. Working toward "retirement" in the next 5 years.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom