Did you move for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes; I have moved for SCUBA several times. We were once offered a house in East San Diego County.
We took a rental on Wind-N-Sea beach in La Jolla instead. Daily diving in walking distance of our house.

Hello,

I wouldn't say the diving was the prime reason for moving from Colorado to Port Douglas, but it was part of the consideration. On a vacation to Port Douglas we fell in love with it and decided to move here. So far very happy with the decision, although getting perm residency is very difficult here.

How close are you to the Bonne Terre Mine? Most of my "good" dive sites are 2+ hours. Local lakes are dark, cold, and muck bottoms. I dove the mine with my daughter and would go back again, and again, if I lived closer. Good vis, fun exploration, and way different from almost anything else. Can't say that a warm, salt environment wouldn't be my ideal, but since I don't plan to move for diving...:-(
Good luck!
It's always better, down where it's wetter, even if it is a drive!

I am about 4 hours from the mine. I did dive it once and it wasn't really my thing unfortunately.

I am seriously considering the move especially as I sit here inside the last 5 days because its so cold and I caught the flu. Is the flu very big in warmer climates?

I have never moved for diving. I did, however, finally decide to buy a house and stay in Florida after I became certified (in diving, I might add). Can't say as how I much care for the society or the people, but I love the warm weather and the diving.

Guess you could say that! I moved from Austin to Cozumel over 12 years ago and started my own dive shop. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss Austin, in fact I miss it A LOT. Living in paradise isn't always about sand, sun and crystal clear turquoise water!

I have never moved for diving. I did, however, finally decide to buy a house and stay in Florida after I became certified (in diving, I might add). Can't say as how I much care for the society or the people, but I love the warm weather and the diving.

What do you think about the society? What's it like? I'm not sure where Deerfield Beach is.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 04:04 PM ----------

Guess you could say that! I moved from Austin to Cozumel over 12 years ago and started my own dive shop. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss Austin, in fact I miss it A LOT. Living in paradise isn't always about sand, sun and crystal clear turquoise water!

What do you miss the most?

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

The flu is horrible everywhere. Get the shot and be done with it. I'm sure glad I did!

Yeah it's knocked me on my butt for 5 days now. Bad news! You're smart!

What do you think about the society? What's it like? I'm not sure where Deerfield Beach is.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 04:04 PM ----------

Deerfield Beach is basically the same as Fort Lauderdale.

I have found that the people are generally not as friendly as I was used to in the midwest. The neighborhoods are not as community oriented and neighbors do not even speak to each other very often.

The men all want the newest and greatest of everything and the women are gold diggers. I know this is a wide generalization and is not true of all the people, it is just much worse than I was accustomed to.

I am fortunate to have found a house in a neighborhood where we all speak and socialize. I have made some friends that are not just after what I can give them (good thing since I ain't got much).

Basically, I have been forced to never trust anyone until they have proven themselves to me. it is not how i wish to be, but I finally realized that "I am not in Kansas anymore".

Great thread Soccer Jenni! I can imagine how you feel right now. As a certified diver, I have also lived most of my life landlocked. I have thought about moving to a scuba destination but I have a job that I like pays me well and ... thats the end of it at this point.

There is one major problem associated with moving for purely for diving. The local dive sites become boring after some time and you look for some new place to dive anyway. You could move to Florida keys and realize that people from there often go to Bahamas and Bonaire etc. If you move to Bonaire you find that people always go to Fiji or Palau and yada yada. I have now come to realize that diving = traveling so be where you make the most money and travel to new places every year.

The travel part of diving is something I like very much, Captain Sinbad, but it sure would be nice to have the option of keeping one's skills up by diving locally whenever one felt like it.

Back
Top Bottom