Did you move for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one major problem associated with moving for purely for diving. The local dive sites become boring after some time and you look for some new place to dive anyway.
Boring? Not ever! I live in Key Largo and love the fact that I am less than five minutes from the docs and about 15 from two of my favorite dive boats! I am pickier now. If the seas are "sporty" (over 4 ft) I find something else to do for the day if I am not teaching or guiding. The great thing about living here in Key Largo: I have awesome diving and I'm only 90 minutes from Miami international airport. Add another twenty minutes and there's the Ft Lauderdale Airport. I can get to all the dive shows and ScubaBoard functions easily. It's not too far to go to cave country (6 hours). The big draw back for the area is employment. The economy here is based on diving and fishing.

So heres a question for you folks. If you could pick a destination to move to on the east coast where would you pick? I live in New England and I am tired of the winters and low vis and the girlfriend and I are thinking of relocating to somewheres between North Carolina and South Florida. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

One more thing, I forgot to mention that most research I do makes it seem like moving to FL is a bad idea but I don't mind the heat and I want to dive as much as possible. The big thing about FL is the lack of work that I seem to read about. At this point I'm willing to live out of my truck and sell seashell down by the seashore...lol
Sorry to hijack the thread, should I post this question? I am really starting to think serious about it

So heres a question for you folks. If you could pick a destination to move to on the east coast where would you pick? I live in New England and I am tired of the winters and low vis and the girlfriend and I are thinking of relocating to somewheres between North Carolina and South Florida. Any suggestions?

Are you kidding me??? You live on the coast of New England and want to move somewhere else for diving? I did a few dives along the coast of new england and was amazed by the cold water scenery and marine life. When I was planning my fantasy move for diving, New England was one of the places that I was considering. I am even putting together a trip to dive in Maine because it offers some of the more unique marine environments a diver could find. This post highlights the point that I made initially that you could be living anywhere in the world, as a diver you will look for new frontiers. The impulse that caused you to become a diver will also cause you to move to an "unknown dive destination." Just you wait and see :p

If you're hungry you can find work and hustle a decent living. South Florida (I prefer West Palm now) is a killer place once you get used to the head and lack of quality pizza.

Captain Sinbad, I appreciate your post but I must say Im newer to diving and wanted to move south well before diving. My other sport is skydiving and stopping my sports for winter is not my cup of tea. Sure you can dive NE in the winter but its cold cold cold. Not to mention I've never seen it above 20 30 foot vis max. Sure I've only got 51 dives under me belt but In my opinion NE diving is just alright. Tons of Lobsters I cant pick because of strict laws, and did I mention half the time you cant see your hands? But really though I am sick of winter. I dont do winter sports. The cold is killing me slowly! lol. I am located on the NH Maine border and frequently dive both. If you do come up here send me a message and I can show you a few of the less known "good" spots.
Josh

No, didn't really move for scuba. It just worked out that way. I really hate being cold and moved to Roatan for volunteer work for a while. Then there was a job opening in Key West, so I took that. After I got laid off, I moved to St Thomas for work. The water just happened to be there. I am very happy.

Captain Sinbad, I appreciate your post but I must say Im newer to diving and wanted to move south well before diving. My other sport is skydiving and stopping my sports for winter is not my cup of tea. Sure you can dive NE in the winter but its cold cold cold. Not to mention I've never seen it above 20 30 foot vis max. Sure I've only got 51 dives under me belt but In my opinion NE diving is just alright. Tons of Lobsters I cant pick because of strict laws, and did I mention half the time you cant see your hands? But really though I am sick of winter. I dont do winter sports. The cold is killing me slowly! lol. I am located on the NH Maine border and frequently dive both. If you do come up here send me a message and I can show you a few of the less known "good" spots.
Josh

Brilliant idea! I travel to Eastern MA a lot and would love to get together for some NE diving. Let me add you to my friends list so that we can stay in touch.

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Boring? Not ever! I live in Key Largo and love the fact that I am less than five minutes from the docs and about 15 from two of my favorite dive boats! I am pickier now. If the seas are "sporty" (over 4 ft) I find something else to do for the day if I am not teaching or guiding. The great thing about living here in Key Largo: I have awesome diving and I'm only 90 minutes from Miami international airport. Add another twenty minutes and there's the Ft Lauderdale Airport. I can get to all the dive shows and ScubaBoard functions easily. It's not too far to go to cave country (6 hours). The big draw back for the area is employment. The economy here is based on diving and fishing.

Key Largo is such an awesome place to live if you are a diver. I am just wondering, do you ever get the urge to go on international dive trips or does it satisfy your thirst for diving to the point where you do not feel the need to travel anymore?

My older brother was born on the West Coast Calif (San Luis Obispo), grew up & went to college (UCLA) in Los Angeles; and went to Medical School in Lawrence Kansas (KU). He's now practicing in Boonville Missouri (in the boonies!!!) --about as "middle-of-the-country" as you can get, and doesn't Scuba dive anymore (his wife is from Boonville which explains everything!). . . but is absolutely happy with wife & kids being landlocked out there.

I had an initial offer of employment transfer to Andersen Air Force Base Guam last year --at the hub of the best tropical diving in SE Asia/Oceania-- but the contract also called for an additional year, with hazardous duty bonuses, at Bagram Air Force Base --Afghanistan!!! Thanks but no thanks --turned the offer down. . .

So I'm still "stuck" here, diving in "freezing cold" Southern California homewaters :wink: !

My older brother was born on the West Coast Calif (San Luis Obispo), grew up & went to college (UCLA) in Los Angeles; and went to Medical School in Lawrence Kansas (KU). He's now practicing in Boonville Missouri (in the boonies!!!) --about as "middle-of-the-country" as you can get, and doesn't Scuba dive anymore (his wife is from Boonville which explains everything!). . . but is absolutely happy with wife & kids being landlocked out there.

I had an initial offer of employment transfer to Andersen Air Force Base Guam last year --at the hub of the best tropical diving in SE Asia/Oceania-- but the contract also called for an additional year, with hazardous duty bonuses, at Bagram Air Force Base --Afghanistan!!! Thanks but no thanks --turned the offer down. . .

So I'm still "stuck" here, diving in "freezing cold" Southern California homewaters :wink: !

Oh I know right where Boonville is! I drive by it on my way from Kansas City to St Louis. It's a lovely place (kidding!). That's great he's happy there. I on the other hand am growing more and more antsy to get out of here. There's a lot involved to me leaving but I have started the very beginning part of the process.

I dove San Diego last November. I must say if I move there id have to dive dry!

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

One more thing, I forgot to mention that most research I do makes it seem like moving to FL is a bad idea but I don't mind the heat and I want to dive as much as possible. The big thing about FL is the lack of work that I seem to read about. At this point I'm willing to live out of my truck and sell seashell down by the seashore...lol
Sorry to hijack the thread, should I post this question? I am really starting to think serious about it

I never mind a thread hijack. :wink:. Besides I'm interested in what you're talking about.

Key Largo is such an awesome place to live if you are a diver. I am just wondering, do you ever get the urge to go on international dive trips or does it satisfy your thirst for diving to the point where you do not feel the need to travel anymore?
There are a lot of dive shows and events worldwide that I get to go to. Are they fun? Yes. Have I opted out to stay home and dive from time to time? Sure. It's like the upcoming ScubaBoard Invasion of Bonaire. Sure the diving will be awesome, but I am going to be with my ScubaBoard peeps as we have another fun week. I have never missed a yearly invasion, and I'm not going to start now. :D

As far as Florida not being a good place to live: Shenanigans. I wasn't born here, but I have lived here since 1962. While I have visited other places, I wouldn't want to live there. The best part about Key Largo, is that our weather is tempered by the surrounding ocean. Next time you're freezing your butts off or have heat in the triple digits, check out Key Largo. We are usually cooler in the summer and much, much warmer in the winter. And hey, if it gets simply too hot, I opt to go diving! The only real drawback are the no-see-ums and the skeeters. I keep several cans of bug repellent on hand for just that reason. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom