Did you do a Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My "Discover Scuba" experience was rather informal and occurred 11 years before I got OW certified. I was into racing sailboats back in New England at the time, and one of our crew was a scuba diver who said he'd teach me everything I needed to know. So we ended up in a cove in Lake Winnepesauki, in New Hampster ... just him and me. He showed me how to set up the gear, how to use the regulator, and off we went. Now, he neglected a couple minor details ... like how to equalize, and the bit about not holding your breath when ascending ... but we spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so swimming around terrorizing the fish before I decided I'd had enough ear pain for one day and surfaced.

In hindsight, it wasn't a very smart approach ... and I didn't really learn anything. But the experience was enough to eventually trigger my interest in taking a class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Discover Scuba was the slipperiest slope I have ever stepped on. Almost three years later, every vacation has been a dive vacation, we have done many other classes, we have spent a lot on dive gear and recently made another mistake in renting an underwater camera for a day which induced us to buy our own camera equipment. I hope they don't offer discover DPV days or we may end up seeking a pilots license for cargo planes.

I did my Discover Scuba at Key West, my wife and I did the pool work one day and jumped a boat the next morning. We were heading out with a boat load of divers getting there AOW and we got to tag along. Our first dive was awesome, the second was even better. We dove Joes Tug, ya a bit deeper than were supposed to go but that was all it took. We have been diving ever since, that was 13 years ago.

I did a Discover Scuba in August 2007 with my best friend and now sometimes-dive buddy. At the time, I knew I was interested in learning to dive, but money and opportunity were lacking. My friend was about to start a bachelor's degree in marine biology, and while she figured she would learn to dive eventually, it wasn't very high on her priority list at the time. For the $30 or so that it cost, I managed to convince her to give it a try...

As far as I remember, there were 3 of us total in the class. We started in the classroom for paperwork and Flipchart theory with a ridiculously energetic instructor who had lots of fun and/or exciting stories to tell. Then we headed up to the pool where he showed us the gear and how to set it up ourselves. Skills I remember doing were mask partial flood and clear, reg recovery and breathing from the instructor's octo. Then we swam around for a while until the time was up. We were then shown how to take the gear apart. On the way home, we were both wondering "now when can we take the full course?". We ended up doing OW the following summer.

How many of you did a Discover Scuba before you got certified?

No, never did one... I entered straight into open water, and it was all downhill from there... ( finance wise :) AOW, RES, DM, OWSI, Cave1, T1, DPV1, Cave2, T2 is booked... And I am hooked.... This all took 15 years. Enjoying every moment of it !

I did a Discover Scuba in 1991 . I had only snorkled and free dived up until that point .
The catch is , we did about an hour in the classroom and then hit the pool , which happened to be Hanamanua Bay Oahu Hawaii .
Talk about a quick sell , I was certified within the week , yes , Discover Scuba sold me hook line and sinker .[
QUOTE=TSandM;6690606]I had a ton of fun last night with six very nice people in our shop's pool. All of them had snorkeled, but only one had ever been on scuba before. I really enjoyed introducing them to the equipment and the experience of diving (and would you believe it, the 12 year old boy ended up in a perfect hover in midwater, and cleared his mask for me?).

I got to thinking, after I went home, about what the experience meant to them, and I wondered: How many of you did a Discover Scuba before you got certified? How did it affect your decision to go on to learn to dive? What did you like about the way it was run, and what would you have had done differently? (I'm particularly interested in pool sessions, since that is what we do here in Puget Sound.)[/QUOTE]

I did a DSD with Jacks Diving Locker in Kona for free and did my open water class within a month of getting home from Kona. The DSD was held in the shops pool and the whole thing lasted about 30mins and I was hooked.

Yes. I think I was 8 or 9 years old on vacation in daytona beach florida. Not sure if that is right I just know that my father said that was the last time we went to florida. One morning there was a sign in the lobby that said something about diving in the pool that day. I didn't even ask because I figured they would say no. But they thought it was cheap babysitting for an hour and asked if me and my brother wanted to do it. We were like YES. It was alot of fun and what I remember learning I later found out was wrong (add air to go up pull on inflator dump to go down) this was all corrected in OW class.

Never thought about it again untill 14 years later while sitting in my room at the abu ghraib prison in iraq. Started to research it got intersted again and said when i get home i am going to do this. and it only took 6 more years and i finaly did it.

I think if it had not been for that day 21 years ago (i just made my self feel old) i would not have ever considered it.

I did a DSD with Jacks Diving Locker in Kona for free and did my open water class within a month of getting home from Kona. The DSD was held in the shops pool and the whole thing lasted about 30mins and I was hooked.

if the free DSD was on a reef, I might be inclined to leave my certification cards in the hotel room and go and get a free dive in :) It might take a bit of acting to give the impression that I am not certified and have never been diving before, but would get an ego boost when then called me a 'natural' lol

Back
Top Bottom