Did my first dive trip in my new boat - very happy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grey2112

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently upgraded from a 19 foot KeyWest bay boat (which was a TIGHT fit with 3 divers and gear, not to mention a wet ride and limited range and rough water capabilities) to a 25 foot Cobia Walkaround.

From this:

to this:

Made some modifications - added in a 3 step ladder and platform, new electronics, and also made two 5-tank PVC tank racks

These worked out great, and we used one of the areas (we had 9 tanks so one square was free) to hold our spearguns. Nothing moved, rattled, etc.

I also bought a DiveMate SDAS and tried it out

Dive Mate, LLC - Home

- worked pretty good, though at one point I screwed up and didn't keep an eye on my whole setup in swells and it popped out my entire rig and snapped off a regulator hose - luckily one of my buddies had a spare so my trip wasn't ruined.

We did three tanks - viz was so-so but I still ended up with a Spanish mack, three hogfish, and 25" gag grouper - the ride was much nicer than the Keywest, and we had a LOT of room to move around, set up gear, etc.

Can't wait to get out and do it all again!

Congratulations. Looks like there's lots of fun ahead for y'all.

I envy you..I have a 12 foot jon boat with a 7.5 outboard..wanna trade ??

I envy you..I have a 12 foot jon boat with a 7.5 outboard..wanna trade ??

LOL - nope, any other boat I get will invariably end up being bigger - I'm doing it in 6 foot increments - so next one will be 31 feet :)

Nice setup. If you ever need a diver to fill a spot let me know!

Did you take in to account larger tank sizes like steel tanks when you built the rack? Seeing that your aluminum's are pretty snug in there I suspect not, but if you and your dive buddies only ever dive aluminum 80's no need to worry.

Very nice Grey. Is that your real name? Just wondering because that is my middle name.

One of the racks should take 100s with no problem, but most of the time we're using 80s. But if you can see the duct-taped tubing on the upper holding arms of the racks, I can cut those off quickly if there is a girth issue on the larger tanks.

I don't know what the conditions will be like this weekend - it looks like possibly choppy, windy conditions with 2-3 footers, which isn't ideal for most people. I can handle it because I'm a stubbron SOB - we'll see - PM me with your name and phone number and if it looks like I might get something going for Sunday I'll let you know with as much warning as possible :)

Nice setup. If you ever need a diver to fill a spot let me know!

Did you take in to account larger tank sizes like steel tanks when you built the rack? Seeing that your aluminum's are pretty snug in there I suspect not, but if you and your dive buddies only ever dive aluminum 80's no need to worry.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

Very nice Grey. Is that your real name? Just wondering because that is my middle name.

Nope, old nickname - but I do go by my middle name, which is Eric

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade there, and was great to get out there on it with you. Especially while conditions were as stellar as they were.

Already looking forward to the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom