My first "OH CRAP" Moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rfwoodvt Hey Rick, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you have a productive attitude about the whole thing, and are getting some good advice in here (and hopefully taking some of it).

The reason why I would recommend that you look at your SPG while test-breathing before you splash, is because it is a simple procedure that can catch many types of failure. 2-3 breaths while looking at the SPG / AI would have caught a partially-opened tank valve, a valve that had been opened before but since closed, a stuck SPG needle, and certain problems with your 1st stage and 2nd stage. It would have caught this case, of course, too. I don't want to speak for Wibble and steinbil, but I suspect that is why they have phrased their advice in specifically this way.

Point is, there are certain things that I will half-ass from time to time on a predive / buddy check. I don't recommend half-assing that stuff, but I will admit to it. But breathing while looking at the SPG is one that I try to do without exception, because it's quick and catches so many problems that are both common and potentially lethal. Especially if somebody else has been poking your gear, which tends to happen on commercial dive operations. That quick little check is something I picked up here on ScubaBoard, I believe -- it crops up in a lot of near-miss A&I threads.

I'm glad you made it out safe, and glad that you're here talking about it, so that we can all improve together.

Correct. One of several failure points on my part. Thot i did, but clearly didn't
On the good side, I am sure you’ll never forget to check the SPG before to go in the water from now on.

It’s the pre-jump check that was missed.

1) Breathe from both regs and check the gauge.
2j Put some gas in the BCD

Then you know you have gas to breathe and buoyancy so you don’t sink.

Everything else is secondary.
Similar thing was drilled into us by my O/W instructor, many years ago, and I still do it on every dive:
  • Look at your SPG and take a few breaths from the reg to make sure the needle doesn't waggle (checks you have a full tank, and the valve is properly open)
  • Put some air into the BCD (to make sure you will float in case anything bad happens on entry).

My process is too grab my pressure gauge and watch the needle move from zero to full pressure as i fully open the tank valve. Leave no doubts to your gass situation.

My process is too grab my pressure gauge and watch the needle move from zero to full pressure as i fully open the tank valve. Leave no doubts to your gass situation.
I recommend NOT doing this! (I was taught to NOT do this.) Doing this just might give you a face full of glass and gauge internals if the gauge should blow out as it pressurizes.

rx7diver

I recommend NOT doing this! (I was taught to NOT do this.) Doing this just might give you a face full of glass and gauge internals if the gauge should blow out as it pressurizes.

rx7diver
A) that is ridiculous
B) you don't have to aim it right at your face from a range of 6 inches
C) the risks of diving a not fully open tank are many multiples more likely

I concur with @rx7diver. While unlikely, this can happen. I had two spgs crack on me last year.

Prebreathe all your regs is my motto.
A) that is ridiculous
B) you don't have to aim it right at your face from a range of 6 inches
C) the risks of diving a not fully open tank are many multiples more likely
A) No
B) True. Nothing wrong with looking at it, point it away from your face and inflating and looking again.
C) True.

But why risk it when you can just pre-breathe?

A good reminder for us all. A simple BWRAF check (or your favourite version) will highlight most issues before you get in the water. I still do this, even and especially when diving solo. Additional checks are good too, but BWRAF is much better than nothing.

I concur with @rx7diver. While unlikely, this can happen. I had two spgs crack on me last year.

Prebreathe all your regs is my motto.

A) No
B) True. Nothing wrong with looking at it, point it away from your face and inflating and looking again.
C) True.

But why risk it when you can just pre-breathe?
You can pre-breathe a half open cylinder. Seeing the needle move off zero while opening the valve removes any space for error.

A good reminder for us all. A simple BWRAF check (or your favourite version) will highlight most issues before you get in the water. I still do this, even and especially when diving solo. Additional checks are good too, but BWRAF is much better than nothing.
BWRAF is a lot better than nothing. But when gearing up on a commercial dive boat I find Aw Frick BWRAF is a lot more useful. Very first thing turn on Air (Aw). Next thing put on fins (Frick) Then go through the others including pre breathing regs while watching SPG.

I have witnessed three incidents with 3 different dive guides who realized on the second dive that they hadn't switched their tanks. However their SAC rates were so low it hardly mattered to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom