Did Lots of Research, Could use some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone- new to diving and to the board. My husband and I have reservations at the Sabor at the end of June. I have OW my husband has AOW. We both have less than 20 dives. I've used this board and trip advisor to identify potential dive operators. Based on all of your advise I've put together a list of some things that are important to us along with some operations that I think could meet those needs. I would appreciate any and all feedback. I'm not sure the resort shop (dive Palancar) would be the best for us.

1. As a a new diver I'd like a shop that provides well supervised/guided dives that are not too crowded. Someone who's been around for awhile and is patient with newbies.

2. My husband has type 1 diabetes. He's in great shape and control but I would feel more comfortable with someone who could handle emergencies well. He would be upset to know I was posting this.

3. We just got our own gear. I'd like a operator that can provide a place to leave it overnight. I'd rather not have to carry it back and forth each day.

4. Boats that provide some shade fr. The sun. A head would be nice, but not essential.

5. I would REALLY like a boat with a ladder. I was very interested in Liquid Blue but someone posted their boats don't have ladders.

6. We're not going to have a car so would prefer an operator who can pick us up at the Sabor.

Based on the research I've done far I am considering;

Liquid Blue
Blue project
dive paradise
aqua safari
Dive Palancar - since their at the resort it would be nice to know if anyone thinks they might suit.

Thanks to you all, in advance. I'm sure you get tired of these types of questions

Last year I took my wife on her first trip to Coz and had many of the same concerns. We picked Chucho Divers on the recommendation of several folks on this board at from my local dive shop. The boats were well shaded, had ladders and they took care of our equipment (washing it nightly and storing it). My wife was a little tentative about diving and Chucho personally guided her through her first couple dives. The most people we had, including the Chucho was 6.

I don't know if it is "typical" but they were able to pick us up from our hotel every day at drive us to/from the marina.

Welcome to the pond! ALL boats have ladders actually, so not sure who told you that Liquid Blue does not - they DO have a ladder.

Any operator can pick you up at the Sabor, but you will have to pay a $3/diver/day pier fee to the hotel or the pier police. This is something charged by the hotel, not by the outside dive ops. You do avoid this fee (I believe) by diving with the onsite operator) - which considering your very limited experience, will be a good match for you. They are very safety conscious and cater to newer divers. I believe they may have lockers for your equipment, but they will not take care of it and wash it for you each day.

Does your husband have medical clearance for Scuba diving, from a Dr. that is familiar with dive medicine as well?

I was in your same shoes year before last when I made my first to trip Coz - a solo trip at that.

Since you're very good at communicating your expectations, just keep communicating them to your potential dive ops. The #1 thing to remember is that competition for your business is very high, and they want your return business just as much as they want you to tell your friends about how well they treat their customers. As a diver, and as a consumer, it's a good situation to be in.

Regarding points 1, 3, 4, & 6 - I'll think you'll find that most dive ops in Coz will have you covered. If you want a dive op that features Cadillac-style diving (where they take care of your gear from the moment you arrive, have it set-up for you every morning, and rinse it at the end of every day) - you will have zero problem finding that!

On point #2, I would think that as a recent recipient of the coveted Open Water certification, you're never really going to be all that far from land on your first couple of days. This means you'll never be that far from access to an ambulance or the hospital. All the boats I've been on had working radios, O2, and First Aid kits. Nonetheless, you should feel free to discuss with your prospective Op how they would handle an emergency scenario before, during, or after a dive.

I also never really felt the need to have a head onboard either, especially if you go with Aldora, since they surface interval at Mr. Sancho's (which has full facilities).

DO communicate with your DM with any and every question or concerns - if you'd like to be the DM's buddy on your first dive, simply tell them.

You are going to have a blast in Coz, I just know it. Remember to take care of the DM & Captain at the end of everyday!

1. As a a new diver I'd like a shop that provides well supervised/guided dives that are not too crowded. Someone who's been around for awhile and is patient with newbies.
You will have a DM leading any group diving the park, no larger than 8 in the group, but hiring a private DM the first day helps a lot.

2. My husband has type 1 diabetes. He's in great shape and control but I would feel more comfortable with someone who could handle emergencies well. He would be upset to know I was posting this.
We have a Dive Medicine forum if you would like some suggestions in that area. Some divers carry tubes of cake frosting in case of underwater need.

3. We just got our own gear. I'd like a operator that can provide a place to leave it overnight. I'd rather not have to carry it back and forth each day.
Be sure to take a lock in case you use a locker. I might leave BC & fins in the locker or with a valet Op, but I take the rest to my room for additional rinsing and storage.

4. Boats that provide some shade fr. The sun. A head would be nice, but not essential.

5. I would REALLY like a boat with a ladder. I was very interested in Liquid Blue but someone posted their boats don't have ladders.
Almost all have shades, heads are only on the big boats, but I am sure all have ladders.

Thank you, All! This board is a wealth of information!

As for my husband's medical condition, he has been cleared to dive. He'll be checked again closer to departure. He's always very careful and has supplies in his dive bag in case he needs it. I hadn't thought of taking a tube of icing on the dive itself. What a great idea. I'll suggest that to him.

I would suggest you travel on all dive trips with a signed Medical Waiver, and give a copy of it to your dive op. I would also suggest you brief the DM on the boat how to use the med in case of emergency.

A friend had to deal with a diabetic diver a few years ago, diving here at home. Luckily she had briefed her buddy on what to do as she went limp underwater on a night dive... he got her up to surface and screamed for help. Luckily there were people there on shore to help him get her out and get the meds from her bag. It could have been really ugly but she was fine because her buddy saved her. Ever since this happened I have been very wary of diving with a diabetic diver. So that is why I say be sure to brief the DM on what to do, and make sure he has a copy of the medical waiver. The last thing you want is to have people panic if something goes wrong, and not know what to do.

robin

Thank you, All! This board is a wealth of information!

As for my husband's medical condition, he has been cleared to dive. He'll be checked again closer to departure. He's always very careful and has supplies in his dive bag in case he needs it. I hadn't thought of taking a tube of icing on the dive itself. What a great idea. I'll suggest that to him.

I have a very good client whose family has been diving with us for years. Last year, the youngest got certified. She also has diabetes - but everything went fine. She is an amazing young lady and has lived with this for most of her life. SHe checked her blood sugar on the boat right before each dive and we were all aware of where it SHOULD be. She also had fruit roll-ups and we always have fresh fruit and juice on board as well. As long as he is medically cleared and there is full communication with the dive op and crew - everything should be fine. But I would highly recommend checking levels before each dive as well.

As a brand new diver, I am going to say the tube of icing should be a last resort - meaning, take every measure to prevent needing it. As a new diver, that could be some task overloading and could lead to other issues underwater if not "practiced" in this maneuver UW.

Have fun and be safe!!!

I am curious how often a diabetic person needs to eat. If they eat a suitable item just before a dive, are they good for several hours? Even doing that, would it not be wise to have something in their BC in the rare event that they get picked up later than usual and are able to eat something on the water surface while waiting for pickup?

What symptoms might other divers see in a diabetic diver that indicate an imminent problem?

We use Bottom Time Divers (Cozumel Scuba Diving | Go diving in Cozumel with BottomTimeDivers dive operator). The DM is owner/operator.
The DM (Raul) is very patient. The dives are as supervised as you want them to be. Just have to let him know what you want. He has new divers frequently as many ops do.

We have a diver in our group that is a type I diabetic and the DM is familiar with the situation including metering before diving and on surface intervals. This person has been cleared to dive and has it under control. The boat does/can have water, fruit, juices, cookies, etc onboard. If you use him, let him know what you would like. He may have to ask you to cover that cost if it's out of the ordinary/special. Or you can get it yourselves at a grocery store and bring it with you.
I am not sure what you mean by emergencies. If you mean just a mild blood sugar low then ok, not generally a problem - you should both know how to deal with that. If you mean unconscious due to a severe insulin reaction then I don't think generally DMs in any op are going to be able to handle it medically. They can get him to medical facilities quickly tho. If you are looking for a medic/nurse/doctor on board, that's a tough order.
We have not had any issues to deal with as we prepare for the dives accordingly as should your husband (starting blood sugar, anticipated excercise, etc). Don't be afraid to skip dives if the blood sugar is not good. The two of you you at least, should develop an underwater signal for lows or issues that cannot be confused and that is easily recognizable.

What follows is for emergencies only - Starting blood sugar is key.
Tubes of glucose (Glutose 15) that do not have a screw on cap and can be taken to depth without leaking. Frosting tubes if sealed may have to be cut open and can go bad in the tube over time (or at least taste terrible). In addition, the screw on type tubes let saltwater in and then it does go bad. We have not had to use these in a dozen plus years of diving for our diver friend. Glutose tubes can be used underwater if necessary (a little salty maybe).
Lastly for dire emergencies (i.e. unconscious and not saying it will happen), you may want to bring a Glucagon emergency kit - it's an injection. Several different manufacturers make it. Your doctor will need to prescribe it. You (as we do) should be prepared to use it not a DM. This has never been used by us and is only a contigency. Talk to your doctor about it. It's not just for dive trips btw. Further, if travelling internationally, get a signed travel letter from your doctor, it is a small needle. Which, btw, may be a good idea if your husband brings insulin and needles for insulin. There have been a few issues with the needles and liquid (insulin) at security (US and Mex side). Take extra insulin and needles and pack (non-carryon).
If you want more info apart from what your doctor has said to you and your husband, see the Divers Alert Network article page under Diabetes and Diving.
https://www2.dan.org/medical/articles/index.asp. There are 4 articles. I don't think you need a login for it.

Contact this DM/Owner (or any OP) to discuss your wishes or concerns first.

Our operator will take your gear, wash, rinse and store daily, and setup for you. You only have to carry it the first and last day.

His boat has a cover as do most boats in Cozumel. No head though - six pack boats are too small. Bigger boats maybe but then you have more divers. He does have a ladder - all do as mentioned.

He can pick up at Sabor but as mentioned if you don't use Dive Palancar, there is a $3/per diver/per day charge in cash to the pier guy (if he's there - hint). We always paid at the pier.

Back
Top Bottom