Did I get ripped off on service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just had one of my reg sets serviced. Atomics B2 with Mares Abyss Octo. They charged me $55 for a 2oz tube of Christolube. Aside from the supersized markup, just how much Christolube do you use to service this reg set? It seems like a lot.

I have seen it for $30

Just had one of my reg sets serviced. Atomics B2 with Mares Abyss Octo. They charged me $55 for a 2oz tube of Christolube. Aside from the supersized markup, just how much Christolube do you use to service this reg set? It seems like a lot.
Dive Con,

Next time you need your regulator serviced you could always call Scubatoys. We charge $24.95 for the Christolube used in sealing the B2.

Dive Con,

Next time you need your regulator serviced you could always call Scubatoys. We charge $24.95 for the Christolube used in sealing the B2.

Totally agree. I'm feeling so burned. I understand that the B2 gets packed with lube but 2 ounces seems ridiculous and the price even more so. Trust me. - they've lost my business and I will be telling my friends too.

I think the volume is about right, 2oz isn't a whole lot, but that's a bit steep for what it is. I get all of my lube for free so I just searched the quick retail price for it on Amazon, but if Scubatoys is charging $25 it's taking the whole 2oz, keep in mind that the packing might not take the full 2oz, but there are other parts of the reg that need to be lubed, so they are probably using that 2oz tube for the whole regulator system.

He is a link to Piranha's prices. It seems that the store is making it up 100%. Did they give you the used tube? Did they charge additional for packing over the cost of lube also?

Understand also that you are paying the tech for the time it takes to service your regulator (even if nothing is wrong with it) and ensuring everything is in working order such as correcting seating etc. It also keeps your warranty valid (not sure if atomic has free life time parts). I normally expect around $50 per reg each year as a cost.

Its life support and I have NO issue paying the money to the shop here in Ontario that I trust. I have a shop here in town that I could use, but I travel 2 hours (one hour there and one hour back) to a shop that I trust...with my life.

ok, so the problem with that is he's wondering why he paid a 100% markup on a tube of grease.... That implies that either a. the shop is greedy and is making well over $30 for nothing, OR it took the tech well over an hour to pack the reg, and it should take less than 5 minutes to do it properly and should be included in the price of servicing the first stage.

Home
If you're sending regs off, these guys are actually worth shipping to, one of the biggest and certainly one of the best reg repair shops in the country, that is literally all they do, and their prices are fair.

ok, so the problem with that is he's wondering why he paid a 100% markup on a tube of grease.... That implies that either a. the shop is greedy and is making well over $30 for nothing, OR it took the tech well over an hour to pack the reg, and it should take less than 5 minutes to do it properly and should be included in the price of servicing the first stage.

Home
If you're sending regs off, these guys are actually worth shipping to, one of the biggest and certainly one of the best reg repair shops in the country, that is literally all they do, and their prices are fair.

I know them and have used them before - you are correct, they're great. I thought that I'd try a place that has (had?) a great reputation on SB and I'm pissed that I did. Shame on me - my bad.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 05:24 PM ----------

Understand also that you are paying the tech for the time it takes to service your regulator (even if nothing is wrong with it) and ensuring everything is in working order such as correcting seating etc. It also keeps your warranty valid (not sure if atomic has free life time parts). I normally expect around $50 per reg each year as a cost.

1. I bought Atomics so that I have do not have to get them serviced annually.

2. Of course I paid for the service. I'm objecting to paying over $50 for a full 2oz syringe of Christolube. Cost price is around $22 wholesale and I was charged more than twice that amount. That's OVER 100% markup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom