Did I get a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimitrik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this board and to scuba in general so please forgive me if I don't know what i'm talking about. I'm not even OW certified yet, but I plan on starting my OW training next month.

My LDS in Denver recently had thier annual used equipment sale where I picked up a few things. After reviewing some of the posts, I think I got a good deal, but would like the opinions of some of you more experienced divers. Thanks!! :eyebrow:

Here is what I got:

$ 50 Hanimex Amphibian Camera w/ SeaLife Strobe
$150 Uwatec Aladin Sport Console with Pressure guage and Compas
$ 50 Scubapro MK15 First Stage / D400 Second / Mares Octo
$100 Regulator Service +parts

As you can see, i'm a good $300 into the hobby without even having set foot in the ocean yet. I've done a few resort courses over the years and just loved it. I'm really anal about having my own life support equipment but don't have the cash to dish out for a new setup. I guess i'm just looking for someone to tell me that I didn't get ripped off. Normally I would wait to buy this stuff, but the LDS convinced me that the price was too good to pass up.

That's the sort of question you should never ask. Whether it's dive gear or a used car. You may get the answer you don't want to hear. Even buying new, there is nothing more irritating than buying something and then seeing it in another shop cheaper.

You're just getting started and you bought some gear with good names. The value really depends on the state of the gear but it will definitely get you started until you can evaluate for yourself.

The real question you should be asking is if this gear will take you through to where you want to go eventually or will you have to upgrade and if so when.

Think positive and enjoy.

Doesn't really matter whether you got a good deal or not. Just go dive with it and have fun.

$150.00 for a freshly serviced Mk15/D400/Mares octo looks like a real good buy. That LDS sounds like a keeper.

Thanks, you guys are right. It really doesn't matter anymore since I already bought it. I'm looking forward to using it and hopefully it will be sufficient enough to get me started.

yeah forget the money spent at this stage, but i would say finish your ow before you buy anything else, it'll give you some idea of gear you need or want, i think a lot of people will tell you in here, including myself, that the gear they bought initially is not what they are diving now,....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom