Diary of an IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well friends and family I start my IDC next weekend. I am looking forward to it for a myriad of reasons with great hope and positive emotions.

Why:

The first very simple reason is that I love to teach. I would teach High School if I thought it would support the lifestyle I want to live. I have considered taking the next step and getting my PhD so I can teach college, but the last thing I want is to be pressured to do research. A major aspect of my current job that I love is teaching a national certification course in swimming pool management.

I love to learn. Every class that I work I learn something.

I havn't decided yet if I am going to stop at AI or go on through to instructor.

I am doing this through Blue Dolphin Scuba in Plano with Richard Dean as my CD. I look forward to possibly seeing EK Sowell again as he did my initial open water so many years ago. The shop is a PADI 5 star IDC

I'll share what happens through the track and my own opinions about it.

TwoBit

All the best in your endeavor. EK is a friendly guy, he gave me lots of Cozumel tips when he was here setting up a new compressor at our station.

I have worked through all of the knowledge reviews in the Instructor workbook.

I found some of the articles that were required reading from the UnderSea Journal to be very dated and I had issues with some of the stuff that was said. I'll need to go back through some of it if I need to get specific.

I found the knowledge review stuff from the Encyclopedia to be better and in some places more helpful. At times, I was suprised at the mistakes I made.

I found the required reading sections from Children and Scuba Diving, The Law and the Diving Professional, and The Business of Diving a little more educational and, at times, interesting. I may decide to sit down and see if I can read them cover to cover (and stay awake).

I do know I need to start my cardio workouts again and get ready to do my swim again. I want to get back in shape again anyway. I'm not over weight, just no endurance.

Skeet, thanks. I remember EK and Sally very well. Good people.

TwoBit

Congrats, Tom. Good luck on your journey! I'll look forward to your journalling of the experience...it's something that has crossed my mind a time or two!

Best of luck, Tom.....I'm pulling for you! :thumb:

TwoBitTxn:
Well friends and family I start my IDC next weekend.

Okay... time for me to help some of you out, and make the rest of you feel superior:

What exactly does IDC mean? Instructor?... Instructor what?

Thanks,
Foo

Foo:
Okay... time for me to help some of you out, and make the rest of you feel superior:

What exactly does IDC mean? Instructor?... Instructor what?

Thanks,
Foo
An IDC is an Instructor Development Course. It's taught by a Course Director (CD) and it prepares you for an IE (Instructor Examination) which is conducted by a PADI Examiner.

Nope, just pinched myself and I feel the same as I did before, no superiorer :).

57 pages of find and mark the answer. Its divided up into sections and I find I do better if I just do one section at a time and then take a break. I'm in no hurry as its not like this has to be done tomorrow.

This is a little history, program standards, how to teach skills, an over view of the industry (from PADI's view point.... at least they accept that the internet will have a significant role in the dive industry), risk management, RDP history and development, teaching children, business principles (even though some of the articles were 10-15 years old I thought there was some good info in them).

Probably a third to a half is program standards... how many students can you teach by yourself...with a certified assistant...age of students...etc

I still found myself reading the articles and thinking critically about them and in places arguing with them.

TwoBit

Best wishes!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom