Advice for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, everyone. New guy here. I've always had a fascination with scuba diving, but now getting a late start in life with it. I used to do a lot of snorkeling when I was stationed in Hawaii (2002-2007). That is where I discovered my love for Mares fins. So, I ordered the Quattro+ for this adventure. I have completed my online book work. Now, I need to do my pool training and OW dives (freshwater springs in Florida) next month August 2024. I have been researching, and basically, it's hard for a bigger guy to find fitting equipment. I did find a fatsuit for wet people (pushing the limits on that one, but thanks to Henderson for showing love to the horizontally gifted). I'm really liking the HOG series. I have never heard of them, until I started this journey. The dive shop I'm going through has a partnership with them. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in regards to the Zenith D3 series and a couple of the their BCDs. One being the Hybrid Pro, and the other being the total buoyancy control system. The more I read, the heavier I'm leaning on that BP/W. Also read on many of these threads that BP/W are better suited for bigger guys. 5'11 and 290lbs. Not exactly my old Marine Corps playing weight. I'm not worried about the water. I have to do water qualifications to keep my job as a merchant mariner. So, with an introduction mixed with all of the rambling, I see that I could fit the Hybrid Pro. I like that it has two shoulder dumps considering it's a 58lbs lift capacity. The TBCS has 23, 32 and 60lbs lift options. It seems the 32lbs would be a stretch for someone my size in a 5mm wetsuit being weighted down. Like I'd need the SMB for an extra helping hand to get back to the surface. Would the 60lbs bladder be too much? I do want to have my own gear to learn on. HOG seems reliable and within my budget range. I'm just curious as to what you all think. I look forward to learning from you guys as well.
Hog D-3 are very nice regulators. I use them.

Thank you for replying and for the encouragement. I'm a little nervous, but very anxious to get started. Im stoked. Semper Fi!
You passed swim qual in boot camp and the annual swim quals while in the Fleet. If you passed those you will do well in your OW.
Semper Fi
Hotel 3/11

I went with the DIN and yoke adapter. I suppose I'll train with the AL80s to not be different from the other students, but after that I'm moving to HP100s with DIN connection. Then, subsequently, going to notrox.....to see if I like it better.

We're about the same size and weight. I dive BPW and would never go back to a standard BCD. I'm diving with a DiveRite 35lb wing which is just right whether I'm wearing a 5mm or something smaller.

With a 6lb backplate, 1lb STA, and steel tanks, I only need 4lbs of weight with my 3mm and 8lbs with my 5mm. If I dive an AL80, I add 4lbs.

I also dive hog DIN regulators and they work well for me.

We're about the same size and weight. I dive BPW and would never go back to a standard BCD. I'm diving with a DiveRite 35lb wing which is just right whether I'm wearing a 5mm or something smaller.

With a 6lb backplate, 1lb STA, and steel tanks, I only need 4lbs of weight with my 3mm and 8lbs with my 5mm. If I dive an AL80, I add 4lbs.

I also dive hog DIN regulators and they work well for me.
I appreciate the information. I'm definitely going to be making the switch to an HP100 once I do my OW. Mostly considering the cost of weights. My buddy has buckets of tire weight lead he uses for making fishing sinkers that I could smelt myself, but then I'd be buying various molds for different weights. I still may do that just for kicks one day, but I'd rather spend less on potential "consumables" (should I ever need to dump expensive lead) and invest more on the absolute necessities that could reduce the need and costs of weights.

How about buying used that's what happens when someone uses gear once
buy what you can get it's all the same then you can buy steel tanks and lead

I appreciate the information. I'm definitely going to be making the switch to an HP100 once I do my OW. Mostly considering the cost of weights. My buddy has buckets of tire weight lead he uses for making fishing sinkers that I could smelt myself, but then I'd be buying various molds for different weights. I still may do that just for kicks one day, but I'd rather spend less on potential "consumables" (should I ever need to dump expensive lead) and invest more on the absolute necessities that could reduce the need and costs of weights.
Rather than make lead blocks, make lead shot. Lead shot is much more comfortable and you can make (or buy) your own 1kg or 2kg or whatever weight bags.

I let molten lead drip into water where it solidified into shot.

... Mostly considering the cost of weights. My buddy has buckets of tire weight lead he uses for making fishing sinkers that I could smelt myself, but then I'd be buying various molds for different weights. I still may do that just for kicks one day ...
I continue to use the weights my then-GF and I molded (from automobile wheel weights) in the late 1980's. We used an old, cheap saucepan and a borrowed mold. Outside, in plenty of fresh air.

Easy to do.

Good Luck,
rx7diver

"should I ever need to dump expensive lead"

Lead isn't expensive. The fishermen leave it all over the wrecks around here. :wink: I used to bring it up by the three-gallon bucket full with a lift bag until I got so much of it I didn't want it anymore.

The largest was a solid ball about the size of a large grapefruit that I was told was used to hold nets on the bottom. The other was some kind of huge planer thing that fisherman who troll use. It was about 5 pounds. Most of the 3-6 ounce chunks are hanging from the wrecks and coral. That's not including the actual scuba weights that I find lying on the bottom.

Good luck on your course. Have fun and don't make it like work and you'll enjoy it and remember the fun you had in the class.

"should I ever need to dump expensive lead"

Lead isn't expensive. The fishermen leave it all over the wrecks around here. :wink: I used to bring it up by the three-gallon bucket full with a lift bag until I got so much of it I didn't want it anymore.

The largest was a solid ball about the size of a large grapefruit that I was told was used to hold nets on the bottom. The other was some kind of huge planer thing that fisherman who troll use. It was about 5 pounds. Most of the 3-6 ounce chunks are hanging from the wrecks and coral. That's not including the actual scuba weights that I find lying on the bottom.

Good luck on your course. Have fun and don't make it like work and you'll enjoy it and remember the fun you had in the class.
You argue a valid point. Fortunately, my buddy has buckets of tire weights and a smelting pot. I'll be stopping by his place once they let me let me off of this boat. Hopefully, before class. I think I'll just buy a 5lbs mold and just smelt by weight. Or, just do like Edward3C said, and pour shot pellets. He has assorted egg sinker molds. I could just bag those up in various weights. The local tire shops are happy to have him haul their lead away.

Back
Top Bottom