Diary of an IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that was a long time ago.

I finished my AI this past weekend.

For the AI, I didn't care much for the General Standards exam. Even though is is open book, I still found plenty of room to discuss answers. I passed, but I thought some of the stuff that PADI put in was a little hinky.

Pool presentations... The slate outlines it all for you. Just fill in the blanks and give the presentation. I got soem really positive comments on my values statements. I heard awhile back to keep them positive. Find a good positive reason why this skill is important. Full mask flood... you are in cozumel, you whip your head around to check out an Eagle ray and your mask gets knocked off kilter. You can put it back in place and clear it without surfacing.

Open water skills.... don't forget to discuss signals. If it is just "ok" do it. We just did surface skills since I was completing my AI. Catching the problem could be a little tricky, but I caught them both. One problem I caught before it became a problem.

It's nice to be at this point. At least I feel like I have accomplished something. I'll keep going, but I'm not looking forward to two more days of lecture.

TwoBit

Way to go, Tom! :thumb:

Another year has gone by...

I have completed all of my presentations. As long as you follow the formats as outlined, it really is fairly simple. I keep getting compliments for my creative contact statements.

The IE is in less than 2 weeks. I am a little nervous about the written stuff, but who isn't? The shop is sending 8 people to the IE. That is almost the entire group of assistants. Once a DM always a DM right? :wink:

I am realizing the need to keep fun diving, even though I see others say it here alot. I had the opportunity to make some fun dives last week on vacation and really enjoyed not worrying about everyone else in the water.

A few more classroom lectures, one last presentation, a rescue tune up session, exam prep.... almost there.

TwoBit

Congratulations! :thumb:

Best of luck Two Bit. That takes me back to my IDC with the late Ralph Ericson some 10 years ago. Enjoy the experience. Choose carefully when it somes to your IE. I tried it in Austin and had a miserable experience. One month later, I tried again in Cozumel and had an absolute blast. Believe me that choosing the right examiner is as important as choosing the right CD. Richard and / or Ek can probably give you some good guidance there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom