DFG Collection Permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Dude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody ever applied for a DFG collection permit? Outcome? Anybody have one?

I had a scientific collection permit for a study on lobsters while at Scripps Institute of Oceanography many years ago. I had it for a couple of years. It allowed me to take lobsters of any size, by any method, at any time, or place. I was required to notify the local DFG office before each collection.

Obviously, the project needs to be legitimate to qualify. It didn't hurt to have Scripps and the University of California behind me.

Not me, but a buddy of mine received a collection permit to collect items for a local aquarium. An aquarium official set him up with the paperwork and endorsed/certified his application--you must list which aquarium you are collecting for apparently. He didn't have any issues getting one to my knowledge.

Years ago I had a scientific collecting permit. I was a volunteer for the OCC aquarium and used it to collect a few specimens. Like others have said you just needed to call the DFG first and let them know what you were doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom