Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSU has to continually remind everyone that the Seminoles love them using that name. I'm not a big fan of the Noles, since there's nuthin' greater than a Gator, but I respect their relationship.

When it comes to what's truly offensive, ask someone from that minority. They might surprise you.
After the Bucs won the SB with TB12, WaPo was calling for canceling the Buccaneers name because it romanticized ruthless cutthroats... no one ever reached out to us pirates, even if we're over 40 and 200 years too late.

What animal names?
  • Shovelnose Guitarfish.
  • Sarcastic Fringehead.
  • Monkeyface Prickleback.
  • Fried Egg Jellyfish.
  • Screaming Hairy Armadillo.
  • Blobfish.
  • Pink Fairy Armadillo.
  • Tasselled Wobbegong.
  • Boobies
  • Gelae baen
  • Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm
  • Sparklemuffin
  • Clanga clanga
  • Vini vidivici
  • Verae Peculya
  • Satanic Leaf-tailed Gecko
  • Dik-dik
  • Cockchafer
I could go on...

After the Bucs won the SB with TB12, WaPo was calling for canceling the Buccaneers name because it romanticized ruthless cutthroats... no one ever reached out to us pirates, even if we're over 40 and 200 years too late.
People don't realize that the name comes from the French to Smoke Meats. They were named after their culinary habit of barbecuing their food. They were the original tailgaters in many respects. Bucs fans follow in their footsteps to this day!

But back to the topic... There is nothing illegal, irrational, or unethical about buying a tag and not using it. I've put in my application. Sure, it might piss off some who don't like these magnificent fish, but I guess it sucks to be them! :D I don't hold any ill feelings towards either side. In the story I related about the guy and the hogfish being stolen, he complained incessantly back to the dock. He kept waving his bent spear at everyone, like any of us really felt bad for him. It was pointed out that were he to spear that particular Jewfish, the risk of him dying was far higher than him bagging it. It should also be pointed out that I had the giggles all the way back to the dock. Seeing him being flung all over was 2 phreakin' phunni, and every time I saw his spear, the event came back to me.

• Shovelnose Guitarfish.
  • Sarcastic Fringehead.
  • Monkeyface Prickleback.
  • Fried Egg Jellyfish.
  • Screaming Hairy Armadillo.
  • Blobfish.
  • Pink Fairy Armadillo.
  • Tasselled Wobbegong.
  • Boobies
  • Gelae baen
  • Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm
  • Sparklemuffin
  • Clanga clanga
  • Vini vidivici
  • Verae Peculya
  • Satanic Leaf-tailed Gecko
  • Dik-dik
  • Cockchafer
I could go on...
I mean, from a German perspective I can see why some people would find the name jewfish weird but I don't know why any of those on the list would be offensive to anyone. Are there actually people complaining about names like Boobies and Pink Fairy Armadillo?

I mean, from a German perspective
Ich habe keine Ahnung, wie die Deutschen denken...

I had to look up "idea", but I'm surprised that I remembered that much German from one semester.

People are funny about names. Obviously, some of those names were Scientists bringing dad jokes to the process. As a dad who makes a lot of dad jokes, I respect that. Oh hell, I want to see a pink fairy armadillo as well as a gelea bean (Pronounced Jelly Bean).

The problem comes with renaming creatures when there's nothing wrong with the name. On top of creating a solution for a non-existent problem, they choose the arch enemy of the very people they were trying to un-offend. The irony is palpable. They will always be Jewfish to me as well as many others.

Gypsy moth just got renamed. Kaffir lime continues to be offensive.
The dik-dik has been proposed to be renamed the they/their. By me, just now.
As has been mentioned, some of the names were changed to appease the chronically offended and not the group affected.
Slavery and territorial wars are an ugly part of human history, and tbey shouldn't be celebrated. Buuuuut , they do need to be remembered so they aren't repeated.
Good point about some of the butthurt being very localised or specific to certain languages.

Did I miss something, since when is Jew a slur?
It's not that Jew is a slur it's just calling an animal that is kinda reminicent of what they were called before getting mass murdered.
I'm not saying the name is racist or was ever meant to be racist, but it does sound weird to some people. It sounds weird to me... but I'm not American, so I get that it's really not my buisness and I lack the cultural context.

If people are actually offened by Boobies or any other of the names on the list it seems ridiculous to me. At least I don't see it.

so I get that it's really not my buisness and I lack the cultural context.
What do Germans call it? Asking for a fish...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom