Devil's Den and Blue Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codlinjr

Registered
Reaction score
Wife and I are planning a little weekend getaway up to Williston one of these weekends to check out Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. I was wondering if anyone here has dove there and if so what they thought of it. Also does anyone know what the cabin rentals are like at the Den? How about other attractions in the area? Any input is appreciated!

Did my checkout dives there. They're each good for a dive, but really not much more than one.

They're definately worth doing once.

ReefGuy:
Did my checkout dives there. They're each good for a dive, but really not much more than one.

They're definately worth doing once.

Ditto to ReefGuy. Worth doing once. Water is cold (72F). Bring rubber.

Motels are quite reasonable in Williston and the people are friendly. When we went, we had a most enjoyable time going to the local high school rodeo show on Saturday night. Don't miss the boiled peanuts!

I found Devils Den worth a few dives in a day, I'd even like to get back over there to dive it again one day.

Blue Grotto, honestly, I could have done without... Big graffitied up overhang and hardly any life... Meh, guess its a been there done that kinda thing.

I went to both this past winter - Devil's den is better by far. Blue Grotto was a bore and I don't bore easily.

It's nice country up that way, its a nice get away from the crowds
in south florida. I was up there a few years ago but did not dive the
Den. My buddy was hoping to rent a 7 ml wetsuit and I believe they were
offering 5 ml. I believe the lodging was actually a trailer home type thing, it was
actually very roomy with fridge, microwave, and stove.

You might consider Rainbow River as an alternative to one of those sites. Blue Grotto was my first dive after getting my OW cert. Could hit 60 feet here, but the dive itself was pretty boring after about fifteen minutes. Rainbow River was my second dive and it was fun. Easy, shallow, and lots of life.

great, thanks for the input so far. sounds like the grotto isn't all that spectacular... good to know. i think i may add the rainbow river instead. it also looks like ginnie springs is up in that area so maybe i will try to work that in also! thanks again for the info...keep it coming.

I would actually like Blue Grotto more than Devils Den if the whole "underground start" part was removed. Its true they are both just like most spring dives and can get boring. I hit over 100 at Blue Grotto and had fun. Both are worth doing for a day IMO. i found the life to be pretty much the same in both.

Miranda

I too liked the grotto more than Devil's Den. Maybe because on my second time there, we were the only group there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom