Depth Gauge or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a plain spg. The depth is on my computer and my backup computer. Before I used a backup computer, I had a bottom timer that gave me that information.

Even when diving within recreational limits, it would be an unusual situation for me to be able to go to tables in the event of a computer failure.

spg + 2 computers.
Console is too bulky and heavy and I can't afford to pay excess luggage.

You guys with 2 computers.... if you're diving nitrox, do you really remember to set BOTH FO2s each dive... especially if you use different %'s on a single boat trip?

Plain analog SPG on my left hip D-ring, compass on my left wrist, basic computer on my right wrist. No backup computer yet but it's coming.
Maybe I'll get a Shearwater and use my cheap Mares Puck as a back up?
I also have a Uwatec bottom timer that shows depth and time only which I used for years, but then I'd have to do math and I'm too lazy. I just want to dive.

You guys with 2 computers.... if you're diving nitrox, do you really remember to set BOTH FO2s each dive... especially if you use different %'s on a single boat trip?
Number of computer used is not an issue. If you remember to reset one computer then you will surely remember to do the same on the other one. However, completely forgot to reset the computer is a distinct possibility. A diligent dive guide or buddy would come in handy. I also assume you and your buddy would confirm certain basic fact during pre-dive buddy check.

I ditched console asap. Clean simple spg now and two computers, backup one set to gauge mode

Another vote for naked SPG. Depth is something I keep on my wrist because when I am doing a safety stop without holding a rope, it is easy to maintain trim and position if depth reference is on your wrist in front of you face.

The wife and I are fixing to begin diving reg sets with SPGs only, each with our own dive computer on our wrist. We currently haven't dived more than arms length apart. I am counting each other's computer as a more accurate backup than the tables would be. Since we aren't diving with standalone watches, the other's computer would be used for dive time anyway.

Many years ago I read a story about a guy who got bent because he made a last minute switch from nitrox to air, forgot to change his computer, and dived to computer limits. When that happened, I wrote to PADI and suggested they include whatever instruments you are using for the dive in your predive check. PADI's reply was an enthusiastic "YES," and they promised they were working on the new acronym. That was about a decade ago.

So in my instruction, I include the dive instruments in the predive check, and I made a new acronym: BWRAIF, with the "I" standing for "instruments." The mnemonic phrase I use is "Bruce Willis Ruins Another Independent Film."

Making those changes can be time consuming for technical diving, but you absolutely have to do it. If you are using one mix for bottom gas, another for a travel gas and deep deco, and two gases for shallow deco, you will have to change every one of those gases (except probably the oxygen) on both computers after mix your gases for the second dive.

I don't know what other Nitrox divers do, but I have no problem remembering to set both of my dive computer to the right % O2. For Nitrox divers, it is a predive routine anyway that you analyze the % O2 in the tank, then adjust the % O2 on the dive computers before plunging into the water. In fact, I always set my dive computers to Nitrox & just simply dial down to 21% O2 if I would dive with air on the next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom