Depth Gauge or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate your puzzlement. I believe he is referring to replacing his SPG with a console containing a SPG and back up depth gauge. For a total of one SPG and one depth gauge. Rather than adding an additional console SPG/depth gauge it's a replacement. How I am making sense of the situation.

Cameron
Here is a quote from the op:" I was wondering what people think about just the spg without depth gauge." Ergo my puzzlement.

Help me understand the value of a backup SPG. I mean if my DC fails during a dive then I am going to end the dive and surface. First of all, I am usually somewhat aware of my tank pressure at all times so unless I am near OOA then it doesn't really matter what I have left. The dive is over. To me, a backup depth gauge (or better yet backup DC) would be more important to know ascent rate and safety stop info. If we are referring to future dives then an SPG and depth gauge would both be needed. A backup SPG just doesn't seem that useful to me. Am I missing something?

If one of my DCs fails, then I don't have to end my dive. One example, during my last Labor Day weekend diving (2 weeks ago) my D4 for whatever reason was set to a freediving mode when I noticed it at 80 feet deep with almost full tank (2500 psig). So, I continued my diving with my Cobra3. The D4 grounded me for 2 days as I was "free diving" continuously for 45 minutes. I guess it thought I was dead.

I dive with an spg and depth gauge. Diving with another computer as back up is a viable strategy. If you do, you might want to have your back up as aggressive as your primary computer. I talked to a guy on a dive boat. He dives with 2 computers. I think he locked out on his back up and the dive op made him wait until it cleared even though his primary was fine. He told me this, I did not witness it.

I dive with an spg and depth gauge. Diving with another computer as back up is a viable strategy. If you do, you might want to have your back up as aggressive as your primary computer. I talked to a guy on a dive boat. He dives with 2 computers. I think he locked out on his back up and the dive op made him wait until it cleared even though his primary was fine. He told me this, I did not witness it.

That's why I have the same brand DC, SUUNTO, to keep both at the same algorithm.

I have dove with several dive operators in past 12 years. None of them grounded me if one of my DCs locked out. All of them let me continued diving with the other one. I don't dive solo anyway so my dive buddy would have similar dive profiles like mine.

Last edited:
:popcorn:And don't for get your wrist watch..

Jim....

Reactions: tep
There is a reason why $300,000,000 airliners have analog gauges as backup... When the $hit hits the fan , analog gauges and tables will get you home...

And the "BIG" gauge set will really cause so much drag... If you can't keep your gauges from hanging and getting in the way... You have some basic diving skills to work on..

Jim

I have my SPG 1/4" Miflex hose runs over the shoulder, retained by clips on D-rings & quick release magnetic clamp to keep the SPG from hanging & off potential entanglement.

I found having a backup SPG and depth gauge very handy when I had a last minute problem with my computer's battery, and could not replace the battery because the dive op screwed up the battery case cover trying to "help" me diagnose the problem. Without the gauge set, I would have had to sit out both dives of the day. I also wear an analog, self winding, dive watch to round out my back up information. In my experience, electronic equipment has the knack of failing at the most inopportune times, hence my willingness to happily deal with the small amount of extra drag.

Replacing my SPG soon, and was looking at new consoles. I was wondering what people think about just the spg without depth gauge. I dive with a computer, as most of us do. I cant remember the last time I looked at my depth gauge.

I have an SPG. Depth comes from my computer. If you need a backup, then many divers these days take a back up computer.

I see absolutely no reason in this day and age to have a depth gauge on your console.

Same goes for compass, by the way. I cannot understand, for the life of me, why anyone ever found a need to put a compass on a console. My computer is on my arm and my compass is mounted (with bungees) on the back of my hand. When I am diving my hands are usually out in front of me and often clasped. That way I can see my computer and my compass like a "dashboard" that tells me everything I need to know about my dive except my tank pressure.

As for tank pressure.... A buddy of mine uses an AI computer and likes it. Me? I had an AI computer in the past and decided that I thought it sucked balls on the whole and wasn't worth anywhere near the price I paid for it....

Your choice. If you want the WHOLE dashboard on your wrist then AI can be handy. In any case you'll still need an SPG because this is the ONE thing that is so important that you can't do without having an analogue backup.

R..

The SPG is also good for calibrating my console dive computer, especially after a battery change.

It's also a good quick visual check the tank pressure without needing to turn on the dive computer and pressing the buttons several times to display the pressure. Just open the tank valve and voila, the tank pressure is displayed instantly. :)

Reactions: tep

Back
Top Bottom