Depth Gauge or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robby6Pack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Replacing my SPG soon, and was looking at new consoles. I was wondering what people think about just the spg without depth gauge. I dive with a computer, as most of us do. I cant remember the last time I looked at my depth gauge.

Diving with backup timer /depth gauge / tables can save a dive trip if your primary computer dies. Same goes for carrying a second computer. I carry a second computer because I'm frequently diving different regs and kits.

Regards,
Cameron

Ditch the bulky console and just go with a naked SPG. If you think you need a backup, get a second computer. Trying to back up a computer with a depth gauge and tables isn't going to work very well anyway.

Yep. I just have a tiny SPG as back up to my dive computer console (SUUNTO Cobra 3).

2in Highland .JPG

For the backup to the dive computer itself, I have a wrist computer (SUUNTO D4), just in case one of them runs out of battery in the middle of long trip, which is coming up in 2 months.

It is good to have the 2 dive computers with the same brand, so they have the same algorithm.

Help me understand the value of a backup SPG. I mean if my DC fails during a dive then I am going to end the dive and surface. First of all, I am usually somewhat aware of my tank pressure at all times so unless I am near OOA then it doesn't really matter what I have left. The dive is over. To me, a backup depth gauge (or better yet backup DC) would be more important to know ascent rate and safety stop info. If we are referring to future dives then an SPG and depth gauge would both be needed. A backup SPG just doesn't seem that useful to me. Am I missing something?

There is a reason why $300,000,000 airliners have analog gauges as backup... When the $hit hits the fan , analog gauges and tables will get you home...

And the "BIG" gauge set will really cause so much drag... If you can't keep your gauges from hanging and getting in the way... You have some basic diving skills to work on..

Jim

Last edited:
Help me understand the value of a backup SPG. I mean if my DC fails during a dive then I am going to end the dive and surface. First of all, I am usually somewhat aware of my tank pressure at all times so unless I am near OOA then it doesn't really matter what I have left. The dive is over. To me, a backup depth gauge (or better yet backup DC) would be more important to know ascent rate and safety stop info. If we are referring to future dives then an SPG and depth gauge would both be needed. A backup SPG just doesn't seem that useful to me. Am I missing something?

I appreciate your puzzlement. I believe he is referring to replacing his SPG with a console containing a SPG and back up depth gauge. For a total of one SPG and one depth gauge. Rather than adding an additional console SPG/depth gauge it's a replacement. How I am making sense of the situation.

Cameron

You can go just SPG without depth gauge, but the difference in bulk and total cost is fairly small. If you streamline it, it won't drag; if you don't, it will, with either option.

Things break down. Gauges, computers, other equipment. If you don't have a backup computer, a depth gauge can still let you dive. With gauges, I personally follow the principle of smaller is better, though - most are larger than they need to be, for a backup instrument.

Replacing my SPG soon, and was looking at new consoles. I was wondering what people think about just the spg without depth gauge. I dive with a computer, as most of us do. I cant remember the last time I looked at my depth gauge.

naked brass and glass SPG but if you want to keep your current depth gauge, Deep Sea Supply probably has a bungee wrist mounted boot for it that you can use instead of a console.

I actually have no problems with 2 gauge consoles when they are cross-clipped to your right shoulder D-ring so they are easy to see and access but don't dangle. That said, I don't use them since I dive with a naked SPG and a computer, but you can just as easily replace the SPG only in your existing console if you like it

Back
Top Bottom