Dennis (lowviz)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, this sucks. Words just aren't adequate to express my feelings. Dennis and I had a couple of conversations along the way. He was truly an amazing person. The world is less rich today. Thanks @buddhasummer for letting us know.

Damn, this sucks. Words just aren't adequate to express my feelings. Dennis and I had a couple of conversations along the way. He was truly an amazing person. The world is less rich today. Thanks @buddhasummer for letting us know.

It is, it's a big minus for sure.

Bummer... he didn't dive locally anymore so we never met, but had conversations with him. Very sad for the community and especially so for his son. From his messages it seemed like they were very close:(.

My wife, a non-diver, has trouble understanding how you can form friendships through social media like this. How can you be friends with someone you never met?

I have met quite a few people on ScubaBoard over 18 years, and I have been very saddened by the loss of a family members here. This is the latest. No, I never met him in person, but I knew him and feel his loss.

My wife doesn't understand how you can make "friends" online either. I say friend and she say's "but you never met them????" I have had hour long conversations with people I've never met, but we "know" each other probably better than I know some of the actual people I see every day.

My wife, a non-diver, has trouble understanding how you can form friendships through social media like this. How can you be friends with someone you never met?

I have met quite a few people on ScubaBoard over 18 years, and I have been very saddened by the loss of a family members here. This is the latest. No, I never met him in person, but I knew him and feel his loss.
Okay, I admit as I read the heartfelt comments here yesterday I had the same thought as your wife. I can't say I have any friends I know only from the online world, and I have never had a meaningful one-on-one conversation online. I only recall reading lowviz's posts--especially that mask-defogging experiment--and thinking he must be a knowledgeable and inquisitive fellow. What saddens me is that so often we don't hear all the good things about a person until they're gone. I had no idea Dennis was so well known and loved. And now I wish I had known him. My condolences to those of you who did.

Okay, I admit as I read the heartfelt comments here yesterday I had the same thought as your wife. I can't say I have any friends I know only from the online world, and I have never had a meaningful one-on-one conversation online. I only recall reading lowviz's posts--especially that mask-defogging experiment--and thinking he must be a knowledgeable and inquisitive fellow. What saddens me is that so often we don't hear all the good things about a person until they're gone. I had no idea Dennis was so well known and loved. And now I wish I had known him. My condolences to those of you who did.
I’ve got online friends I’ve had for nearly 20 years. Started in either forums or Yahoo Groups, then later moved to FB. We’ve had many a phone call, but have never managed to meet up due to schedules. There are others I flew out to spend a weekend with in the past.

I’ve got online friends I’ve had for nearly 20 years. Started in either forums or Yahoo Groups, then later moved to FB. We’ve had many a phone call, but have never managed to meet up due to schedules. There are others I flew out to spend a weekend with in the past.
I don't think this is the place to have this conversation, if it is a "conversation." Maybe you're just more social than me--online or otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom