Demise of Houston Underwater Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally got around to writing this. As others may know Houston Underwater Club was the oldest club in Houston and had been around about 52 years. It was the original founder of Seaspace the dive show that used to be held in Houston. At the end of 2011 the club elected to dissolve for various reasons. This was accomplished in the latter part of 2012. While unfortunate wasnt much of an alternative. The remaining funds were donated to various marine related organizations and the Texas Gulf Coast Council of Diving Clubs. This enabled TGCC to expand its scholarship program for 2013 and beyond. HUC continues to have a FB page and the former trip leaders are continuing to lead trips on their own. Check it out if interested.

Were they at one time talking about merging with Bay area Divers

Bummer.

I was the treasurer. We never considered merging with BAD or any other club for that matter.

I don't know if you're willing or able to say why the club dissolved, but I am curious if it had anything to do with the economy, lack of membership, etc. Not looking for dirt or gossip or anything like that, I was just curious about participation levels in scuba clubs vs. divers who gravitate to LDS's and the trips they often sell.

When I moved to the area several years ago I found CHUM on the internet and registered with their website. They seem like a nice group of folks, but in 4 years I've never been able to do anything other than lurk on their site once in a while. I attribute this to the fact that I live north of Houston and tend to hang out & dive with folks from the nearby LDS when I have free time.

Well aware of CHUM. I was one of the first members and still am a paid member. Go to most meetings.

The reason HUC was dissolved is during the latter part of 2011, we made repeated pleas for new officers to step forward. No response. We told people the club would be shut down if someone didnt step up. Being that the club was a TX corporation it had to have officers. The board was reelected for 2012 solely to dissolve the organization.

The main reasons this happened is the club membership was aging. A lot of the people didnt dive any more and were just paying dues. Attendance at meetings had declined. Tried a lot of stuff but not much result. Any organization like this needs infusion of new blood(not necessarily younger) who want to get involved. Just didnt happen. There is a lengthy discussion on club FB page about all this. Demise of Seaspace hurt also. That was a good feed of new members.

Believe me it upset the board members as much as anyone. I was the treasurer 8 years. I personally had had enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom