Deleting Logged Dives - Feature Request???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevenrider860

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am returning my Cobalt for factory service while I have some down time this month. One of the requests I made was for a "factory reset" that would erase all the old dives. I am told this can not be done.

I am curious why that design decision was made and why even the factory service technician is incapable of resetting this data? While deleting old dives may not be common, there are many good reasons that an owner may want to do so.

In my case, my daughter will be using the Cobalt. Deleting the old dives prevents them from being downloaded into MacDive and require deletion. It also allows her to use the dive planner and ensure that only her SAC rate is being used in the average.

If there is a feature request list...this is one I would like to add.

-------
Brian

I think RonR said in an earlier post that there was a means of deleting all dives on a unit and that he could email the instructions for doing so. Send him a PM.

Sent Ron a PM.
Thanks!
Brian

Sent you this info via PM. I can understand the factory not wanting to delete the log for a number of reasons. This deletes the test dive made in production, so it erases a record of when the product was built. It could be used to falsely present a used product as new. There is the risk that the customer might not understand this is a permanent deletion.
The reason this ability was included was to allow shops and resorts who wanted to rent the Cobalt to have a means to clear the computer between dives. I think, since previous dive computers just haven't had this much dive storage and logging capacity, we're in uncharted territory as to how to deal with it. The reasons you give for wanting to clear the log certainly make sense.

Ron

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 09:04 AM ----------

It would be nice to delete them off the unit individually actually.
It would be, but there are technical issues that make this very difficult, and potentially a real problem- the dive storage is not analogous to files on your PC. The safest method, and the only one we implemented, is to clear the log entirely.

Ron

I also sent you a pm asking for instructions on how to clear the dive logs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom